“Best birria in San Francisco, hand-made tortillas, yum!”

SanJalisco Restaurant
Ranked #1,038 of 5,645 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Mission District
San Francisco, California
“Best birria in San Francisco, hand-made tortillas, yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

The most authentic Mexican restaurant I have eaten in throughout all off San Francisco, and I lived in Mexico for over 2 years. The birria (a kind of dry goat stew), is almost as good as the kind they make for weddings in Jalisco, a state in Mexico. In a side note, it's only offered on the weekends. The tortillas are super soft, fresh, and yummy. The vegetarian huaraches (which means sandal, but I think the name comes from the size) are vegetarian, and also super yummy. The only thing I was disappointed about was the juice. It comes from a bottle. The price is fair.
The staff is friendly, and fairly prompt.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Angela S

Los Angeles, California, United States
“The Best Hidden Secret in the Mission District”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

The first time I entered this neighborhood restaurant, I was so impressed with the cleanliness and atmosphere. A family owned business, just like eating a home cooked meal. Everything is delicious. Please try the great Sangria they offer, it will sneak up on you. I live in So Cal and everytime I return to San Francisco, this is my first stop. Great staff. Just be patent, it is worth the wait. Restrooms are the cleaness public restrooms. Reasonable prices. Great place for your buck.

• Visited April 2014
San Francisco, California
“Mexican comfort food in a homestyle environment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

There are a lot of places in the Mission that are fast food Mexican, or they specialize in burritos or tacos and not full meals (not that there is anything wrong with that). This place is different: The food is very good and home style. I got an enchilada and flauta combo: good, but not great. Serving-wise, it is enough for a meal, but don't expect leftovers unless you're holding back.

The decor is entertaining. They have a lot of art, Mexican and otherwise. It definitely adds to the experience, and in a good way. The restaurant has been around for a while, and it definitely has the character of the family and the neighborhood--and it's nice that it's slightly off the beaten path of Mission Street. The restaurant invites you in and gives you a feast for the eyes (while also providing some pretty good food).

The service was hit or miss. It was a Thursday night, but the place was crowded. We had a group of seven, and although we sat quickly, we had to wait a loooooong time for the food. Then again, it was evening at a restaurant in the Mission--this was not exactly surprising.

I had driven by this place quite a few times without going inside. It's in a busy neighborhood, and parking can be a beast. It's also a tight fit: the people at the table behind me bumped into my chair every time they moved--although that's more a complaint about the people themselves, since they never bothered to look at me, let alone excuse themselves.

• Visited April 2014
Waunakee, Wisconsin
“Love the Chiliaquiles”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We never miss this restaurant when we are overnight in the Mission. We go for breakfast, love the chiliaquiles Veronica and the tamales. We have pre-ordered the tamales for football game parties and holiday parties. We have never been disappointed here.

• Visited January 2014
“Wow, great good... Large portions ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

This place is great! So good in fact went twice during my stay in SF. The chips and salsa is very tasty with just the right amount of spice and the portions they serve are large.
It's not a fancy spot but that's what you want when eating good laid back mexican food. Would definitely recommend to any hungry person.