“Very good Mexican food at inexpensive prices”
Review of El Toro Taqueria

El Toro Taqueria
Ranked #1,327 of 5,711 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Mission District
Cheboygan County, Michigan
“Very good Mexican food at inexpensive prices”
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Taqueria EL Toro has a new location on the Embarcadero at pier 1. My husband and I found this place while walking the embarcadero. It is next to the building wlth the food court. (I forget what it's called.) Anyway we really liked the food here. It has limited seating inside (it was packed) so we ate at their outside dining area. The way I would describe this restuarant is a no frills kind of fast food joint. But the food is good to great. We ate here twice in our 3 day 4 night stay in SF. We both had burritos...both days. The first day I had a vegatarian burrito that was good. Then on the 2nd visit I had the red snapper burrito. It was excellent!! How much it costs depends on what you have in it. The seafood burrito is about the most expensive burrito on the menu. I had it with everything but the kitchen sink. (you choose what you want in it) It had beans, lettuce, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, cheese, rice...I even had them add garlic mushrooms for $1.65. This thing was huge! I had a hard time finishing it...and I have a good appetite. It only cost around $10.00. Now remember this was for red snapper. My husband had the same as I did except he had chicken instead of snapper and his was only $8.00. They had a few combo dinners on their menu that ran from $10.00 to $15.00. But most of the things on their menu ran from $2.00-$10.00. I could have gotten the red snapper with rice and beans for only 6.95. But as you can see I like the works! For San Francisco this is pretty cheap. My husband and I are not the type that likes to spend a lot of money on going out to eat. So we were so happy we found this place. We ate around 2 or 3pm and neither of us were hungry for the rest of the day. We both can't wait to go back to SF so we can eat there again. We only wish they had a place in MI!
Oh the only downside for me was that they don't have ground beef. I'm sorry...I usually like my buritto with ground beef. But I got over that really quick after I had the snapper:)
A tip if you go here...is to look at one of their carry out menus to see everything they have before you get in line. The first day we didn't...so when it came to ordering (you put your order in at the counter and pay...then they call your no. when it's ready) we didn't know what we wanted so I ordered the veg. burrito. I probably would have gotten something else if I would have had more time or knew what they offered ahead of time.
Anyway if you like authentic Mexican food and are in SF...make your way to Taqueria EL Toro. You won't be dissapointed!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Even by mexican standards, the food is pretty heavy there...”
Reviewed May 1, 2008

Even by mexican standards, the food is pretty heavy there...

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Carne Asada was gross, enchiladas stink. Chris liked his burrito but I don't eat burritos.”
Reviewed April 28, 2008

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I believe its owned by the owners of Pancho Villa.”
Reviewed January 6, 2008

I believe its owned by the owners of Pancho Villa.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I can't wait for this place to open up again. It's about the same as Pancho Villa but not as crowded.”
Reviewed November 15, 2007