“San Francisco Magic Parlor”

San Francisco Magic Parlor
More attraction details
Owner description: All New 2015 Production in our 3rd Year! The San Francisco Magic Parlor's new production features magician David Facer. Journey deep into his "World of Paradox" and explore David's fertile imagination and creativity. In our third year the San Francisco Magic Parlor is offering new shows new magic, and a new ambiance while retaining the distinctive qualities that have made it a staple of the Union Square Entertainment scene. David Facer's shows combine theatre and magic performance-art. During this one-person show he is your guide into a make-believe land of Magic, introducing several of the eccentric and bizarre inhabitants of his fantastical world where "Impossible is Not a Word." David portrays five diverse characters in his "World of Paradox." Be enthralled by: Jack Winter and his Sideshow Sensations, Jakob the Mechanical Man with a Human Heart, the enigmatic Dream Dweller Nicolai Bayne, and magical prankster and adventurer Spellvin. Award winning magician David Facer conjures paradoxical mysteries at his fingertips. He has performed with Broadway legend Carol Channing, and entertains in nightclubs, cabarets, restaurants, and at private events. David has been showcased at the San Francisco Zoo, the Hyatt Regency, Six Flags, the Cliff House, and Twining Vine Winery. Time seems to stand still in our intimate Parlor conveniently situated within the historic 100 year old Chancellor Hotel on Union Square. The Parlor's gracious turn-of-the-century ambiance evokes the San Francisco of old. "Sidesplitting and heartwarming!" -Bread & Roses A spectacular and intimate one man show." -SF Bay Guardian "Just off Union Square, away from the bustle of the crowd, is a cozy and charming place..." -San Francisco Examiner
San Rafael, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“San Francisco Magic Parlor”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I just happened upon Yelp and saw all of the great reviews and thought why not. The evening was definitely a treat! How often can you learn about the history of a colorful, magical city while experiencing the magic firsthand. Do yourself a favor and see the show!

Visited January 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Vancouver, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Magical and fun!”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I was staying at The Chancellor Hotel last week and had noticed the hotel restaurant was gearing up for something that looked interesting. Out of curiosity I asked the front desk what was going on and they told me about the magic show. I registered for that evening's show right away.

When I arrived I was greeted warmly by Walt Anthony and his assistant at the front. Mr Anthony walked me to my reserved seat and kindly inquired where I was from, etc., and I noticed he was this way with all his magic parlor guests. The show itself was wonderful. I felt transported back in time, to the early days of SF, the storytelling was spellbinding, the magic tricks were very complementary to each tale. Great experience and memory. I'd totally recommend it to both young and older alike (clean and classy) and would attend again if I return to SF next year.

Thank you Mr Anthony!

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Behrcat
San Francisco, California
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Storytelling San Francisco magic!”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

For a magic show that includes fun facts and rumors of San Francisco in an intimate and chillaxing setting, this is a great escape in the otherwise busy area to enjoy some cool tidbits incorporated with the illusions.

It’s wonderful for tourists to learn more about San Francisco in a storytelling way, especially such as the “Big” Alma Spreckels that is standing at top of the Dewey Monument right in the center of Union Square, also right across from the hotel.

For locals, you will find just as much fun learning about the fascinating and interesting history, giving its residents a renewed sense of what cultures have been grown in the city.

Walt even provides a pen with its name on it and a booklet of historical figures he has mentioned during the show so you can look them up later.

His show lasted about an hour and a half, with an intermission for bathroom breaks and drinks at the little bar right outside of the transformed Luques Restaurant. The restaurant is a breakfast and lunch carpeted place and is transformed to a magical evening, filled with lovely music and dim lights flowing, and his mesmerizing and pleasant voice.

Visited November 2013
New York City, New York
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Magical Evening of Unique San Francisco Tales”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

One of the enchanting and truly unexpected treasures available in historic Union Square is The San Francisco Magic Parlor in the Chancellor Hotel at 433 Powell Street. The wonderfully entertaining Walt Anthony weaves a spell and takes us back a hundred years (when the Chancellor Hotel was the tallest building in San Francisco). He proceeds to engage our minds and spirits with amazing magic and antique tales of the City by the Bay in a unique theatrical frolic. Walt is a fine magician and a superb storyteller. This is a family-friendly (16 and over) show that should not be missed. It is charming, thought- provoking, and informative. Oh, and Walt even returns us to the present day before we leave. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Visited December 2013
Boca Raton, Florida
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Great evening, well worth it”
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

I made a reservation and showed up for the show to find out it was cancelled. I had other backup plans so I was not too disappointed. The lady at the front desk said that I could come back tomorrow night for free if I leave my cell phone number so I agreed. The next day the magician called me and deeply apologize and asked how many people would attend tonight. I said my wife and I and he said he would buy my wife and I a ticket. We arrived at the show and it was very entertaining. A matter of fact, my wife Loved it!!!! And that is the most important thing. She was so fascinated and entertained. This is not your typical magic show, it is theatrical entertainment with some magic and illusions mixed in. This is very unique. If you are looking for a typical magician standing up and pulling rabbits out of a hat, maybe this show is not for you. If you are looking for a great evening of great story telling and acting with great passion with a mixture of tricks, magic and illusion this is the greatest choice for an evening of fun for you. We even got a gift at the end of the show. I won't spoil the surprise of what the gift is. Don't miss out on this experience. The room only holds about fifty people or less so make sure you have tickets in advance. Our show was packed.

Visited January 2013