“A charming, fun and magical San Francisco experience”

San Francisco Magic Parlor
More attraction details
Owner description: All New 2015 Production in our 3rd Year! The San Francisco Magic Parlor's new production features magician David Facer. Journey deep into his "World of Paradox" and explore David's fertile imagination and creativity. In our third year the San Francisco Magic Parlor is offering new shows new magic, and a new ambiance while retaining the distinctive qualities that have made it a staple of the Union Square Entertainment scene. David Facer's shows combine theatre and magic performance-art. During this one-person show he is your guide into a make-believe land of Magic, introducing several of the eccentric and bizarre inhabitants of his fantastical world where "Impossible is Not a Word." David portrays five diverse characters in his "World of Paradox." Be enthralled by: Jack Winter and his Sideshow Sensations, Jakob the Mechanical Man with a Human Heart, the enigmatic Dream Dweller Nicolai Bayne, and magical prankster and adventurer Spellvin. Award winning magician David Facer conjures paradoxical mysteries at his fingertips. He has performed with Broadway legend Carol Channing, and entertains in nightclubs, cabarets, restaurants, and at private events. David has been showcased at the San Francisco Zoo, the Hyatt Regency, Six Flags, the Cliff House, and Twining Vine Winery. Time seems to stand still in our intimate Parlor conveniently situated within the historic 100 year old Chancellor Hotel on Union Square. The Parlor's gracious turn-of-the-century ambiance evokes the San Francisco of old. "Sidesplitting and heartwarming!" -Bread & Roses A spectacular and intimate one man show." -SF Bay Guardian "Just off Union Square, away from the bustle of the crowd, is a cozy and charming place..." -San Francisco Examiner
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Walt Anthony’s San Francisco Magic Parlor is a charming, uniquely San Francisco entertainment experience. The Chancellor Hotel (just off Union Square) is a cozy, comfortable setting for the show, with bar refreshments available, and a nice lobby waiting room area (since I always arrive early for a show, it was nice to be able to relax in comfort while waiting for the doors to open).

When the doors open for the show, Walt personally greets the audience as they enter. His dress and the room décor have a Victorian feel, and, accordingly, Walt is a gentlemanly host. The seating is intimate: several rows of chairs, and a number of table booths around the perimeter of the room, with good sightlines all around.

The show is a series of magic performance pieces, each themed with a story relating to San Francisco history and lore. This is not a dry history lecture; the stories are filled with colorful characters (from the Emperor Norton to “Big Alma” Spreckels) and a native’s insight into his beloved city. The stories are all entertaining, and the magic provides a fun (often amazing) complement to the storytelling. With its blend of story, history, and entertainment, The San Francisco Magic Parlor is a thoroughly enjoyable, charming outing for anyone’s visit to the city.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I arranged a last-minute trip to leave the kids with the grandparents and my wife and I to stay near Union Square in SF and I wanted a show to go to that night. My wife wanted to go see a movie but I wanted to do something more uniquely San Franciscan, so I turned to TripAdvisor.

There's a surprising number of magic shows in the list of "Things to Do in San Francisco" and I'm still trying to figure out why, but regardless, I read through the reviews and chose the San Francisco Magic Parlor. My wife was a bit dubious but I sold her on it.

The show is great. When we saw it, the audience was very small - maybe 25 people total - and the magician did magical tricks centered around stories of famous San Francisco residents. We learned a bit, we had a lot of fun, and my wife turned to me midway through and said "this is fantastic, thank you so much" which is always a sign that I didn't screw up not taking her to 'The Hobbit'.

My wife was selected to help on stage during the show - if you don't want to do this, you can probably tell them ahead of time... I figure with roughly 20 people in the room, they can keep track of the shy folks (of which I am one). She was absolutely blown away by the trick she was asked to help with and she keeps telling all her friends and our families about it.

I highly recommend the show - the magic is fantastic, the stories are fun and interesting and the opportunity to be in a small room with a top-notch magician is something truly special.

1  Thank pmahoney
Reviewed December 30, 2012

It was an absolute delight to experience the enthralling ambiance and - we loved it! Set right in Union Square, the hour and half show is cozy and rivetingly entertaining. As soon as Walt opens the show, he's gotcha in his spellbinding series of stories about SF famous historical figures' iconic pasts with excellent story telling, and a seamless interweaving of magical effects. You really feel like you're reliving some of San Francisco's past, and enchanting present, thanks to Walt. Highly recommended!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I really loved this Magic Show. The venue was perfect and the Magician was Great. It is a mixture of Magic and story telling. Great way to see both, epecially the stories about San Francisco.
BTW it is in the heart of San Francisco and easy to get to. It is nestled away on the first floor of a charming Hotel.
The bar offered a happy hour right before the show with great drinks and food.
I recommend it for both locals and visitors to the CITY!!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

First, the location is spectacular, right downtown in Union Square. Second, you are greeted by a very nice costumed lady and then Walt himself shows you to your seats. It is great to get to meet the talent before the show even starts. Third, the show is the perfect balance of theater, drama, magic, humor, story telling, SF history, audience participation, and creepiness (the kind that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up). We all loved the show! At precisely the right moments the audience would burst into laughter, applause, and/or stunned silence. If you want to be amazed, amused, entertained, and educated about the darker side of SF, then this show is for YOU!!!