“Authentic Japanese recommended by the locals”
Review of Ebisu

Ebisu
Ranked #469 of 5,861 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Sunset
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We were advised to visit by our guide from the Japanese Tea Garden. Her 93 year old mother-in-law enjoys this place. We treated our teen daughter to authentic cuisine which she really enjoyed. The dishes are varied and priced right. They have a good wine and beer selection. Adults enjoyed some delicious plum wine. The sukiyaki was delicious. We also had tempura, sushi, cucumber salad, and some other side items. Many locals were dining. We arrived early, but it was packed when we left. Parking is very difficult. If possible, take a cab or public transportation .

Reviewed June 17, 2014

For the quality of sushi that you get at Ebisu, you'd expect to drop a massive amount of money, but it doesn't happen. For how packed the place is, how long the lines can get and the reputation, you'd expect them to be impolite or at least impersonal, and yet they're as nice as you can imagine. Even the owner waits on tables, buses dishes and greets people.

This is honestly, without peer, my favorite restaurant in the world, and the top thing that I miss about not living in SF anymore.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

This place has some of the best sushi in the city. The fish is fresh and the food is consistently good.

The rolls that I love are California roll and the spicy tuna. They carry Bluefin toro most of the time and its good. They also have noodles and other Japanese dishes.

One bad thing is that they don't have ramen and they have it at their other stores.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

SF has no shortage of sushi restaurants and many are top notch. We are lucky to have so many great options, there are sushi places for almost every mood (romantic, kitschy, formal, quick, traditiona, etc). But ebisu is my favorite because of the consistent quality of their product and the numerous interesting options. It doesn't hurt that I used to live around here.

My favorite roll from here is the swamp roll, spicey tuna with seaweed on top. I'm also a big fan of their grilled squid. I've seldom if ever had a bad roll from this place though so you won't go wrong no matter what your preferences are.

This is definitely a place to check out if you have been spending a day in Golden Gate Park and are craving a sushi experience.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

They told me it was the best Japanese Restaurant in town and this is not exaggeration! We had to wait 15 minutes even if it was on Tuesday and then we sat at counter. In front of us there were the cooks that prepared the sushi, they were very gentle. I was so happy that I when I read the menu that I could not beleve it: They had Melon Soda!! It is hard to find it outside Japan!. Then we ordered several type of Sushi: it was delicious and well done! The price was a little high, though.