“A Chinatown Must!” 4 of 5 bubbles

House of Nanking
Ranked #116 of 5,626 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Description: House of Nanking is a staple Chinese restaurant in San Francisco. Our recipes transpire from traditional recipes that have been updated based on our own experiences. We like to recreate standard dishes and give it a twist. At House of Nanking, one of the popular things to order is in fact not to order yourself! We are fantastic at putting together a dish for you based on what you like. Our menu is constantly changing and dishes are rotated around. Some of our dishes, however, are favorites and have been around for quite some time. These special dishes include: Nanking sesame chicken, fried potstickers with peanut sauce, shrimp packets with peanut sauce, house noodles and fried calamari.
Temecula, California
“A Chinatown Must!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Heard about this place in a wine bar in Temecula and had to visit when we were in town and so happy we did...this place was truly authentic and delicious. Had the owners recommendations for first timers and oh my, yumm! The line is always out the door and you may have to wait, but WAIT, it is that good.

Visited July 2014
Kathy F, Manager at House of Nanking, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
We love when people come to us through word of mouth! Thanks for this wonderful review. I especially appreciate what you've had to say about our dishes and authentic atmosphere. Hope we'll see you again in the near future!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
usa
“Look me in the eye, please”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

I had been to this recommended restaurant in 2008 and had a wonderful time. On that visit, the owner waited on us. We were a bit overwhelmed with the extensive menu and he kindly said he would order for us. He had a twinkle in his eye and we felt especially welcome and special and then the food came...dish after dish of wonderful Chinese dishes...OMG he knew our taste buds. Everything was exquisitely prepared down to the cold, barely blanched asparagus with sesame seeds and an amazing sauce that I have tried to recreate at home to no avail. Fast forward 6 years to Saturday, a lunch with my husband. We were shown to our table by a waiter who did not even look at us. I thought we had incredible luck when the owner (I assume he is Peter Fang) again waited on us. I ask about the asparagus and he says "out of season" while looking out the door at people passing by on the street. I ask about green beans and said "Just order for me". My hubby ordered Pepper shrimp. Soon the green beans appeared at our table. We thanked the delivery person and again received no eye contact. Rice followed in a few minutes. The beans were amazing with a dark sauce laden with minced garlic, sesame seeds and soy. Next came the pepper shrimp...so-so. Nothing special and we won't order it again. Maybe I'm needy but I appreciate when people look at me and acknowledge my presence. The gal who collected our money finally looked at me and said, "sign here..."

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kathy F, Manager at House of Nanking, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
I'm sorry we didn't live up to the memories you previously had. But we'll be sure to work on making eye contact -- it's definitely not too much to ask. I'm at least happy to hear you enjoyed your dishes. Hope you'll come back to see us again the next time you're in San Francisco!

Best,
Austin, TX
“Favorite San Francisco restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Twice a year for almost 8 years we have visited this restaurant. I have recommended it to many friends and have never been told it was off. I had the scallop tower which is my favorite. No other restaurant that I have visited has this on the menu. If you like scallops, you will love this. Big fat juicy scallops on a slice of eggplant. It's 6:30 a.m. And I wish I had some now!!

Visited July 2014
Kathy F, Manager at House of Nanking, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Love this review! We're honored to be your must-visit spot in SF. Great recommendation with our scallop tower -- it's one of my favorites, too. Thanks for coming to see us over the years, and we're looking forward to the next visit!

See you soon,
Litchfield Park, Arizona
“House of Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

Learned of this place from a local and it did not disappoint. The 2 appetizers and 4 entrees were so good. (Potstickers, Pork Eggrolls, Pork Stuffed Mushrooms, Salt & Pepper Shrimp, Sesame Chicken, Jade Spinach Salad with Pork.) We got lucky with a short wait time but it would have been worth our time had it been longer. Don't expect super friendly service - the culture is not the same as American establishments. You will get efficiency and really good food. It is not in the middle of Chinatown but rather on the edge so it's not in the hubbub of all the touristy stuff.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kathy F, Manager at House of Nanking, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
No one knows us like the locals do! Thanks for following the advice and coming to see us. I'm happy to hear how impressed you were with all of your dishes and grateful that you get our authentic charm.

Come back and see us again soon, OK?

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Recommended by many”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

There was a sizeable queue when we arrived but they move people through very quickly. Drinks for kids came like lightning - can and a straw basically. Food was excellent - and although a bit surly, service was good - certainly quick. Worth the queue.

Kathy F, Manager at House of Nanking, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
We pride ourselves on our quick service and delicious food, Neil. Thanks for noticing and pointing it out in this review! Glad you all enjoyed your time with us, and I hope you'll come back and see us again soon!