“Food great but do not expect good service”
Review of House of Nanking

House of Nanking
Ranked #121 of 5,737 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: House of Nanking is a staple Chinese restaurant in San Francisco. Our recipes transpire from traditional recipes that have been updated based on our own experiences. We like to recreate standard dishes and give it a twist. At House of Nanking, one of the popular things to order is in fact not to order yourself! We are fantastic at putting together a dish for you based on what you like. Our menu is constantly changing and dishes are rotated around. Some of our dishes, however, are favorites and have been around for quite some time. These special dishes include: Nanking sesame chicken, fried potstickers with peanut sauce, shrimp packets with peanut sauce, house noodles and fried calamari.
NJ
“Food great but do not expect good service”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

My title for the review tells all. Food tastes great but the service lacks to say mildly. Nothing nice can be said from the door wait for a table treatment to how you are treated inside. We were 7 on the table and 3 times owner tried to seat a stranger on table. Got even more funny when my daughter went bathroom and 2 strangers started to take her seat. No respect. Food was good though just guard your seats.

• Visited August 2013
Kathy F, Manager at House of Nanking, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
I'm so glad you all enjoyed the food. Unfortunately, it sounds like your family didn't enjoy your entire experience with us. I would really appreciate if you could tell me more about the customer service. With more detailed feedback, I'll be able to better address the situation with our staff. Often times, we'll sit diners in open seats. So sitting with strangers isn't too rare and adds to the authenticity of the experience we're hoping to give. That said, I apologize for the confusion and especially the fact that an empty seat was considered fair game when it wasn't. I hope that you'll come back and see us when you all are back in town.

Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Europe
“Excellent Chinese in SFO”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This very informal and laid back Chinese is in an excellent area in SFO. Walking distance from Union Square. No reseravations possible and sometimes a line outside - its worth waiting as food is delicious. Quick service. Buy a cool t-shirt when you leave!

• Visited August 2013
Kathy F, Manager at House of Nanking, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
HerrEgg, thanks for the great review. I'm glad you took note about our informal and laid-back environment! We love being able to give our guests an authentic Chinese restaurant experience. So happy you consider our food worth the wait. I will be sure to share your kind words with the chef and staff. Hope to see you next time you're in San Francisco.

Take care,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I was here at the 14th of August 2013 with my family. We ordered the Calamari, escalope tower and Sesam Chicken with a side dish. I was surprised about the winning 2013 logo on the door. The food tasted horrible. All meals were fried so the taste was gone. Also the service was way back from pleasant and all the meals game after eachother.
I told the serveant I would write a negative review. All sge answered was "I don'n mind".
Surely I do not recoomend this restaurant. Maybe it was good in the early days but now it is to busy for them to deliver quality.

Visited August 2013
Kathy F, Manager at House of Nanking, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
I'm sorry you and your family were disappointed with your dining experience with us. I will talk to the chef about your feelings on the food being overcooked and tasteless. I also apologize about the impression that we don't care about negative reviews. The truth is, we do care and we want every customer to leave happy.

Thanks for your feedback, and I hope that you and your family will give us another chance the next time you're in the area.

scotland
“Shocking service”
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Our concierge recommended this restaurant. The queue to enter moved fast and we only waited about 5 minutes. The lady server was very quick and abrupt and tried to encourage us to order her recommended choices. We decided on three of hers and another two from the menu. Part of the meal came very fast and the rest was delayed. When we enquired when our rice and our other dishes (including a starter) would arrive we were rudely shouted at. The food tasted very nice although the starter never did arrive. The service was awful. We paid the bill by credit card. Before we could even decide what to do about a cash tip one of the servers came over and angrily asked for a tip. Needless to say none was then left.

Visited July 2013
Kathy F, Manager at House of Nanking, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
I apologize for your disappointing time with us. Our goal is to give an authentic experience with great food and service. Unfortunately, it seems that the service marred what could've been a good visit. Thank you for your feedback, I will be sure to speak with the team and remind them of how important it is to treat our customers with kindness and respect. I hope you'll give us another try the next time you're in San Francisco.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this review.

Redington Shores, Florida
“My must have SFO meal”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We walked from the Mark Hopkins to Chinatown in search of my favorite restaurant-House of Nanking. Every visit provides another reason why I will make every effort to get here while in San Fran. We always have the waiter or chef pick out our dishes for us and have never been disappointed. Service is wonderful, pacing appropriate and the freshest, tastiest entrees anywhere. I have no idea what we had because it wasn't on the menu, but a seafood starter, beef course and finished with sesame chicken. Flower tea is always must for the cool days in SFO. We ate out a lot, but honestly, I could've eaten here every day.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank karen m
Kathy F, Manager at House of Nanking, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Karen, thanks for taking the time to write this review. We're so glad to be your favorite spot to go to when you're in the city! The fact that you say you could've eaten here every day is the ultimate compliment. I'll pass this along to the staff and chef, who will be pleased to know you've never been disappointed with his choices. Please come back and see us again soon.

Until then,