“Go for happy hour...”
Review of Fior d'Italia

Fior d'Italia
Reserve with OpenTable
Fior d'Italia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #237 of 5,946 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Chestnut Street
Transit: The Powell-Mason Cable Car drops off Taylor and Francisco Sts-1 block away. The Stockton 30 bus line drops off on Columbus and Chestnut Sts.-2 blocks away. The 47 Van Ness drops off North Point and Mason Sts.-2 blocks away. The F-Market Streetcar drops off at Fisherman"s Wharf -5 blocks away.
Description: Opened in 1886, Ristorante Fior d'Italia is America's oldest Italian restaurant. Chef Gianni Audieri continues the tradition of serving authentic Northern Italian cuisine with dishes such as gnocci, osso buco and calamari being called the Best in San Francisco by "The Fior's" customers. We also have private banquet rooms, accommodating from 6 to 130 guests, are available for meetings, receptions, luncheons, and dinners seven days a week. Exclusive use of the entire restaurant for up to 250 guests is also available depending on time and day of the week.Thousands of banquets, parties, business events and weddings have taken place at 'The Fior.' The restaurant and San Francisco share a great history and tradition. In short, Fior d'Italia offers the best of Italy: traditional Italian cuisine and old world service.
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Were staying upstairs at the San Remo and after 4 nights we decided to have a drink before dinner - forget about it!! We stayed for a couple of hours, drinking and enjoying the happy hour food menu which included calamari, meatballs, mussels, bruschetta, and more. We were so pleasantly surprised that we did it again a few nights later and just as good! They also have desserts "of the day".

I noticed many of the reviews did not like the restaurant meal but trust me, try happy hour!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Had dinner here the other night. Lasagne was heavy like a brick. Bread was stale. Wait staff was friendly, but I was not impressed.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Second time at the oldes Italian restaurant in the San Francisco. This restaurant has a very friendly staff and extremely accommodating. The tables are not shoulder to shoulder so you can actually have a pleasant conversation with your table partners.

My friends raved about the eggplant parmesan and pesto linguini....I ordered linguini with shellfish - the noodles were overcooked and the dish extremely dried. I took couple of bites and left it un touched until the waiters removed the plates. At that time the waiter asked me if I did not like it....very politely and not make it a big deal, I told him - it was overcooked. Immediately, he offered to bring me something else....but the unexpected surprise came when we got the bill, he actually had removed the meal without even asking for an adjustment. Well done Fior D'Italia !!!, I will try you again - but not the same dish.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

On a close-friend's recommendation, my wife & I met them ('he & wife') at the "Fior D'Italia" on Mason for dinner. He'd said it was 'one-of-the-best' in SFO, & that it had 'been open' for near 'one-hundred years'. So my wife & I were excited, & really looking-forward to dinner... as the 'North Beach' area (along Columbus) is especially well-known for Italian food. And besides... what with all the Italian restaurants in business (in SFO)... can there really be a 'bad-place' to eat???
Well, 'Virginia': "yes", there IS a 'Santa Claus'... & it be "Fior D'Italia". And suffice it to say that we'll NEVER go there again.
To start, our waiter ("Israel") was pushy to the point of rudeness... repeatedly (& frequently) returning to our table to ask 'whether or not' we were ready to order. If the place had been 'anywhere-near-full', we'd have 'sped-up' a bit. However, these are our VERY-close friends, & we'd not seen them for a couple of years.
Anyway, we eventually 'ordered'... if only to rid ourselves of Israel's annoyance... & then waited an abnormally-long period of time before food began arriving... but only 'piecemeal'. My friend & I ordered 'lasagna', his wife 'pasta', & my wife 'minestrone soup & garlic-spinach. I'd ordered a 'Caesar-salad w chicken' as well... but it was forgotten & never arrived.
But I digress... as my 'lasagna' was the most-pathetic excuse for same that I've ever had the misfortune to be served. And my wife's 'garlic-spinach' was insignificant at best... as if someone had whispered the word 'garlic' over the spinach, which the cook deemed to be 'satisfactory'. After all, "Stouffer's" does make a VERY-decent Italian product... that looks & tastes G-O-O-D... but which puts what we were served @ "Fior D'Italia" to shame.
So 'in summary', I give this place a "D-"... which would be on a GOOD day. Because the service & food were 'both bad'; plus I'm left wondering 'why is it' they're still in business.

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

The Fior is the oldest Italian restaurant in America. We go there often to watch sports, chat with friends and enjoy their generous and excellent happy hour. Great for a more formal dinner too!