“Just average”
Review of Il Fornaio

Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #556 of 5,922 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Greenwich
Transit: Muni Bus: 10 Townsend; Muni Metro: F Line
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

This was actually our second family meal here. The service was slow on taking our orders & getting drink refills. Everyone ordered a chicken dish. The potatoes were were cold & dry. The chicken dishes were over cooked. The children's chicken nuggets were buried in French fries. Two people had dessert, which they both enjoyed. Parking was easy & it was a perfect spot to meet up with people coming from all directions in the city. I've had better food & service.

Herb H, General Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear aquaH20mama,
I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your last visit here at Il Fornaio in San Francisco.
My name is Veniero and I am the new GM here and I am truly sorry that we could not deliver a superior experience.
I would like to have you back and personally ensure everything will go as you would expect.
Next time you come and see us, please ask for me and you will be glad to be back,

1265 Battery St San Francisco, Ca. 94111

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Had a business dinner at Il Fornaio. I ordered an steak and found it to be okay but nothing outstanding - and a little tough. Nice environment and good service.

2  Thank friofrio

Dear friofrio,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor about Il Fornaio SF.
My name is Veniero and I am the new general manager here. I would like to meet you and personally thank you for your time and feedback.
Please next time you call to make a reservation, mention my name and I will make sure to stop by and ensure your experience will be outstanding,

1265 Battery St San Francisco, Ca. 94111

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Nice physical plant, menu sounds good, but the food is generally mediocre, especially for the price. Some things at Pasta Pomodoro are better, the rest basically just as good, and it is a lot cheaper. If you want a relaxing nice place to eat Italian food, but do not care about what you eat, this place is perfect. But if you eat Italian in SF, Oak, or Berk, you will be disappointed.

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We went there for dinner. The staff were very friendly - some of the friendliest we've come across so far. The food was delicious including the bread. The ambience was romantic.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Sadly, Il Fornaio is living on its name. The ambience was great (we sat in the semi al-fresco area) and the service was crisp and attentive. But restaurants are all about the food and, with the exception of the bread, it wasn't there. My caprese salad was rather bland and tasteless: the tomatoes had no flavor and the mozzarella was nothing special. The scallopene with artichokes was similarly tasteless: the best part about it was the baby carrot. The meat was overcooked and the sliced artichokes added nothing to the flavor. The broccoli rabe was also over-cooked and the potatoes were equally tasteless. My wife was not thrilled about her beet salad and ravioli, either. So I just can't recommend it. Won't be going back, either, as there are too many good restaurants in San Francisco to chance this one again.

Herb H, General Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear Marfak,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. My name is Veniero and I am the new GM here at Il Fornaio SF.
I am sorry to hear your visit did not meet your expectations. We strive to offer an authentic Italian experience to our guests and this feedback is important to share with my new team as we build on our service standards and quality of food.
Please feel free to contact me personally should you reconsider dining with us again, it would be my pleasure to show you that we are improving daily,

Many thanks,