“Fun Place for a Group in SF”

The Stinking Rose - San Francisco
Reserve with OpenTable
The Stinking Rose - San Francisco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #106 of 5,775 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: Muni Lines: 8BX, 45 and 41
Description: Garlic rules at this world famous North Beach restaurant where dining is an experience for all the senses. Charming private dining areas with unique decor: hanging Chianti bottles, glowing candles, cozy booths and chandeliers. Tureens and sizzling skillets of seafood tantalize and thrill...follow your nose to The Stinking Rose!
Reviewed June 18, 2013

After a long day of sightseeing in a city of great restaurants with our group of six, we were able to get a reservation at the last minute. Arrived early and were seated immediately. Service was attentive, prices were right and the food was good. Lively atmosphere with friendly staff. If you love garlic, this is the place to go.

There are newer reviews for The Stinking Rose - San Francisco

Reviewed June 16, 2013

After years of visiting San Francisco and this favorite restaurant I was excited to bring my sons to this eatery to share the interesting garlic dishes. So, I made a reservation MONTHS in advance to our visit. So on June 13 when the arrogant hostess lead my family of five to a very back and empty room I got nervous. After waiting for 10 minutes for the water guy, never mind a waiter, to acknowledge us I began to become disappointed. I asked for another table in the dining room and the very busy talking to the other hostess, reluctantly granted my wish at a 4 top, let's be clear this is a massive 4 store fronts restaurant, I looked around and there were many other options. The waiter had no time for us, never checked on us, our meals came out really fast then we sat and waited to be cleared and get the check for over 30 minutes. When we left the hostesses never looked at us to say thank you and good night. I am positive that this establishment has gotten so confident and arrogant that they act like they're indispensable in the restaurant industry of San Francisco. Never again and I won't recommend, like I have for years, that when in San Fran you must visit the Stinking Rose! Avoid it, so many other noteworthy North Beach restaurants that can cook with garlic!!

1  Thank Mptravis
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Best meal and overall dining experience of our four nights in the City! From the incredible garlic relish served on the table with homemade cibatta rolls to the garlic ice cream dessert. Great friendly, fast service. We had a 7:30 reservation and were seated as soon as we walked through the door at 7:30. The melted goat brie with garlic was to die for. My companion had the halibut and I the short ribs, both fantastic and garlic like you can't believe. The sides were as good as the meals and this place will be on a regular scheduled visit if not in SF then in Beverly Hills.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

When my family of 4 entered the restaurant we were happy with the lively, casual atmosphere. Sort of what you'd expect with a name like "The Stinking Rose." We had a reservation, which was helpful because it was packed.

My daughter had the buttered fettuccine, which was okay but pretty basic. My son had the ribs and loved them. The bbq chicken pizza was outstanding.

Overall this is a fun place to take a family or group. The food is interesting and very good.

1  Thank TwoWas
Reviewed June 12, 2013

we wanted to enter in a Garlic restaurant since long time, I was pointing the one in Helsinki but then we had no time left so my garlic meal was put on hold.

Then we went far away to San Francisco and discovered this gem the first evening and had a great meal. In our 6 days in SF we went there once more the second last evening, loved the service, the selection and the atmosphere.

It is true you will stink after the meal but if you dislike garlic and its smell you are not even considering this place.

Place is very easy to find, at the corner of Broadway and Columbus.

I would go there again and recommend this nice place to any friend who enjoys Garlic.