“Eclectic and Excellent”

Transit: Powell Street BART Station
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Eclectic and Excellent”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Enjoyed a late dinner with friends on 9/20. The Sommelier was also our waiter, and he was quite knowledgeable and courteous.

Started with a beet ravioli, which was out of this world exquisite. I contemplated asking the chef for a bowl as my main entree. For the main, had the wagyu steak, cooked perfectly to medium rare. The smoked potatoes/carrots and onions were perfect accompaniments. I personally, was not a fan of the oxtail marmalade, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of oxtail to begin with.

A great evening if you are looking for high quality, eclectic dining with unique flavor/ingredient combinations.

• Visited September 2012

UK
“Worthy of an excellent rating.”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I meet twice a year with a friend in SF for dinner. We had heard about this place from friends and gave it a try. We were not disappointed. The restaurant is situated on the 5th Floor of the Palomar hotel, has no windows (that I could see) and has that warm, clubby feeling of a San Franciscan Supper Club, albeit more contemporary. We were give a warm welcome and seated on time. Other than cocktails, we chose a couple of bottles of well priced Chablis which were delicious. An amuse bouche preceded a couple of excellent mains (Black Cod and Lamb). We went a la carte as I am getting tired of the tasting menus, which FYI, is an option here. Coffee and desert followed and drinks at the bar with friends who joined us for a nightcap afterwards. This was one of the more memorable meals I have had in SF, not only because of the food but the service and atmosphere of the whole place. We also never felt rushed and were given time to enjoy each dish and were left to chat in peace. Definitely suggest you try this place. I don’t think you will leave disappointed.

Visited September 2012
San Francisco, California, United States
“Dinner”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Wow, I loved it. Dining here was fun, and kind of overwhelming. Great experience for the experienced foodie. Get your game face on!

Seattle, Washington
“Outstanding restaurant - don't let the bar intimidate you!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Not so easy to find - you have to be determined to locate the Palomar Hotel, then navigate through the bar to find the restaurant. The bar seems like "the scene" but the restaurant is the true find! Carefully considered food, outstanding professional service, and a wine list curated by Amy Goldberg that should be the subject of a feature article in itself. I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the evening, and my guests from London were definitely impressed!

Visited August 2012
Mahwah, New Jersey
“Good, but trying a bit too hard”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had the tasting menu with a few of my husband's colleagues. The sommelier was friendly and helpful and guided us to a lovely bottle. The atmosphere was comfortable and understated, with windows on one wall revealing some rooftop planter boxes. Service was attentive. The food was very good, but tended to err on the side of overly self-conscious combinations of ingredients, where the waiters would set the plate down and launch into paragraphs of descriptions of every minute element. While we had a perfectly nice time, my husband and I had to hold back giggles as this meal conjured up memories of writer David Sedaris' descriptions of places just like this one.

• Visited July 2012