“Great service and food, but rather lacking in variety”
Review of Cafe Jacqueline

Cafe Jacqueline
Ranked #414 of 5,946 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The food is uniformly good but the food selection is rather limited, so it is not easy to eat here frequently without getting tired of souffle. Our meal took approximately 3 hours for 3 courses. We had attentive service, but it is not the place to visit if you are in a rush.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I love souffle, and the souffle here is great. Grandma Jacqueline in the kitchen was adorable. Very friendly and always has a smile on her face making souffle for people in the dining room. Such a sweet person.

We ordered lobster souffle, crab souffle, strawberry souffle and blueberry souffle. My favorite was the strawberry souffle.

I think the savory souffle is great, but I think the dessert souffle is so much better.

The portion is huge and the souffle is really rich. Order accordingly...

One less star because of the wait staff in the dining room. Not personable and cold. We saw a very interesting lamp in the dining room that has sea urchin skeletons as its lamp shades. We weren't 100% sure if they were sea urchin skeletons and we asked our waiter who was walking by.

We: "Hi. (with smile). Do you happen to know what those are? (pointing to the lamp shades)"
The waiter: "(Annoyed). It's a lamp." And then he walked away......

Huge contrast to the warmth and friendliness of grandma Jacqueline at the back.

Seriously. If you aren't happy working there, please quit...... Grandma Jacqueline needs friendly people to help her in her wonderful cafe.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I came for the dessert souffle - luckily no wait on line for a Thursday night. It took about 45 minutes once ordered. The waiter with the handle bar mustache was very patient and suggested the strawberry souffle. Once it came out, it was HUGE. It was enough to feed 5 people and we finished most of it. Excellent, light and airy. The lady who makes it is an older french lady.

I would come back again - next time with lots of friends.

1  Thank tafanda
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Cafe Jacqueline and its namesake are San Francisco treasures. I'd heard about the restaurant for some time, but made it a point to go with friends during a recent trip back to the Bay. I was not disappointed. One thing you must know and be happy with: it's a souffle restaurant and everything is made to order, so plan an evening, not an hour. Our visit was a total of about 4 hours and well worth the time spent there.

We all started with the French onion soup - one of the best I've ever had - very hot, cheesy and flavorful. A great way to warm up from the cold outside. Then the Belgian endives with roquefort salad (they were out of the watercress, which was recommended by friends), simply prepared and with very flavorful French roquefort.

We then ordered three entree souffles - leek, spinach and shitake/basil/garlic. We also ordered the Grand Marnier and chocolate dessert souffles for after. The souffles take some time, but about 30 minutes later they arrived - large enough each for two people (maybe three lighter eaters). Each was beautifully browned and fluffy, and our waiter served tableside to divvy them up between the five in our group. All were delicious and not a bit went back with our waiter.

The dessert souffles followed with coffee and we handily finished these over time. These were a bit richer, and our waiter revealed that the dessert souffles are made with four eggs each, while entree souffles are made with three. All made with love by Jacqueline who takes personal responsibility for every souffle, working away in the kitchen and greeting everyone with a smile. When one finds a passion and embraces it, wonderful things result.

We had a fantastic evening, spending an extended time drinking wine, catching up on work, family and travel, and enjoying wonderful food. Don't come here in a rush, as you'll spoil the experience. Go after your show, not before, and take time to enjoy the evening. If you like souffles - or just great food made with love - you'll be very happy you came. I definitely recommend it for a couples night out, or a small group (6 or less) of friends who enjoy good conversation.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

My sister, niece and I had an early Sunday dinner (5:30 pm) at Cafe Jacqueline. My mother used to make soufflés when I was growing up, and I loved them. Cafe Jacqueline was recommended to us so we made a point of going there while in San Francisco. We had looked at the menu on line beforehand and had already decided on the broccoli with Brie and the prosciutto with mushroom soufflés. Our server was really personable, and he encouraged us to order dessert at the same time because everything would take a long time to prepare. We decided on the Grand Marnier soufflé. We were prepared for the long wait because we had watched our mother make soufflés at home, and we knew it was complicated and time consuming. You cannot rush the process or you will fail. In the meantime, we sipped ice water and some nice California white wine and we enjoyed some lovely, crusty bread. Our server was attentive, topped up our water regularly, and asked us how we liked each dish. The restaurant is small and intimate with a nice ambience. There were white linen tablecloths, fresh roses, and background music. Both of the savoury soufflés were delicious, made with fresh ingredients, and satisfying. Our dessert soufflé was melt-in-your-mouth wonderful. By the time we finished, we were quite full. I would love to go back and take my husband next time.