“Wonderful all-around experience”
Review of Cafe Bastille

Cafe Bastille
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Bastille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #568 of 5,800 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Bush & Kearny
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I had dinner here with a co-worker.

The restaurant is in a small alley that is lined with European-style restaurants. It was a pleasant evening, so we sat outside.

We both chose the fixed price menu with unlimited wine. Both the white and the red house wines are better than one would expect. We drank a considerable amount, and our server always cheerfully refilled our glasses without prompting.

I started with the cream of asparagus soup, which was beautifully textured and very elegant. For my main course I had the rabbit in mustard sauce, which was subtle and delicate. Instead of dessert, I paid a $5 upcharge for a small cheese plate, which was very good. My colleague enjoyed the French onion soup, beef Bourguignon and Pavé chocolate crème brûlée.

Our server, who was from France, did an outstanding job of taking care of us. He cheerfully substituted the starches that came with my rabbit for spinach.

I would absolutely eat here again. At $49, the fixed price three course dinner with unlimited wine is an incredible bargain.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Having just returned from France and being in San Francisco we decided to have dinner at the Cafe Bastille. Belden Place is an alley full of restaurants, so it is important to make sure you are going to the right place since it is easy to get confused.

My wife and I started with the French Onion soup and then she had the Beef Borgoune and I had the Tartare. They were both well presented and tasted great. All in all it was like going back to the old standards of French Cooking and brought back a lot of memories. The desert was the only disappointment.

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed the prix fix menu, sharing mussels Normande and Lapin in moustrade sauce as the main course. Both were excellent. For starters, the mesclun salad and French onion soup were good. The deserts were disappointing.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Unfortunately too cold to enjoy the outside tables on our visit. Service excellent, excellent bread and wine, soup good, moules not memorable. Great ambiance.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

This was our second time to cafe Bastille and found the food bland. The cassoulets were tasteless. Our previous experienced was much better, maybe it was an off night for them. The service was excellent and ambience was inviting.