“Great food, service, and atmosphere...but a little pricey”

Koh Samui and the Monkey
Reserve with OpenTable
Koh Samui and the Monkey is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,120 of 5,664 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th Streets
Transit: Muni Bus Lines 10, 30, 45, 47. Muni Train Lines K, T, N and Caltrain
Brentwood, California
“Great food, service, and atmosphere...but a little pricey”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Had dinner here this week with a co-worker. The menu had a nice variety of appetizers, soups, and entrees. I ordered a cup of the Tom Kha Gai soup and the Aromatic Pumpkin Curry (basically red curry chicken with pumpkin) and both were delicious. Our waiter advised that my entree was prepared medium spicy, unless I wanted it more spicy. I often order red curry dishes medium-hot or hot, but glad I stayed with medium as it was plenty spicy. :) This restaurant is larger than most Thai restaurants I've been to, and it's very nicely decorated as well. It's a little pricey, but that's probably because it's meant to be more of an upscale, large Thai restaurant, has a full bar, is not far from the baseball stadium, etc. My entree was $16, while at most other Bay Area Thai restaurants, red curry dishes are around $10. Overall, it was a good experience.

• Visited January 2012

Monterey, California
“Superb & unique food & drinks made a great New Year's Eve”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

After watching the Illini beat UCLA in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl at AT&T Park, my college roommate & I went to Koh Samui because we love Thai food & it was close. It was a bit early so not crowded, tho it filled quickly. The special menu saved the need to choose ---I could never have chosen as well as the chef did. Each of the four courses offered uniquely combined flavors & presentations each accompanied by excellent wine choices. The LaBua cocktail to start was amazing----Remy Martin 1738,Domain de Canton, Carpana Antica Sweet Vermouth,Crispin Rose, ginger infusion & a dash of pineapple juice. WOW --could be addictive & it only got better! The dessert --Samui Honey Toast -- tho "covered in honey" was light & a great ending. We were full but not bloated. They service was even better than the food!!! I can't wait to go back to SF just to try the regular menu! Parking could be a problem because it is only metered street parking. But we got there early enuf & could use the handicapped spot in front of restaurant. But parking in SF is always a challenge. I'd suggest a cab. It was a bit more expensive than we planned but for the special meal we got it was NOT expensive. AAA lists the price as a reasonable $25-30--for regular menu.

• Visited December 2011
california
“Excellent”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We went with out of town family, located South of Market St. trendy, lively place.
My nephew's partner David, did not think he would like Thai food because he said the smell of curry makes him gag! He ended up liking the curry dish the best. He now eats Thai food often. The drink selection was great, also not your typical appetizers or entrees.
If you want good food, great time. I recommend trying this place.
Caroline

• Visited March 2011
Jacksonville, FL
“Nice Thai restaurant near AT&T Park”
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I was here with a party of 4 recently (repeat visit, actually). Our orders ranged from basic Thai preparations to house specialties (curry in a pumpkin), all executed well. It's a pleasant place near AT&T Park in an area where parking on the street is pretty easy (unless there is a ball game). My particular dish was an eggplant preparation that was quite good, but not memorable, hence 4 stars instead of 5.

• Visited April 2011
“Excellent !”
Reviewed April 18, 2011

This is an excellent choice for a great meal in San Francisco! Delicious food made exactly like in Thailand! And for a very reasonable price!

• Visited March 2011