“Real time travelling to France”
Review of Cafe Claude

Cafe Claude
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Claude is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #257 of 5,922 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Bush & Kearny
Description: Affectionately known as the "Paris of the West," Cafe Claude is a San Francisco institution. Situated on one of the city's hidden alleys, Claude Lane, Cafe Claude offers a taste of France, with classic bistro dishes at lunch and dinner, a full bar, and an affordable wine list. On warm days, linger on the patio and enjoy a rare dose of sunshine, or a warming bowl of onion soup or coq au vin inside. On weekends, the restaurant comes alive with live jazz from 7 to 10pm, Thursday through Saturdays.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Everything and everyone in this place speaks, looks and tastes like a typical good french bistro. The menu is classic (coq au vin...) but well executed, the wine list offers a nice and reasonably priced selection of wines and our waiter was french.

There are a lot of places which pretends to be french bistros that usually loosely re-interpret the concept. This is one of the most authentic ones I tried in North America and the perfect place to go for a nice classic dinner.

Definetly a keeper

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Excellent traditional bistro meal in an atmosphere that reminded my wife and I of previous trips to Paris. Food was fresh, well prepared, appropriately sized and served by very professional, competent staff. Totally enjoyed oursleves and look forward to going back again.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Now that I know where this is, I will return. The staff were excellent, the food was amazing (I had the rabbit special) and the location was great. It was a February evening when it was warm enough to sit outside in the alley (yup, it's in one) and the neighbors tables were close enough that you could chat or not. As it turned out we had a great time with our neighbors. I brought a client here and he was very impressed with our choice.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I were recommended that we dine at Cafe Claude by our hotel staff. We were not disappointed. We should have made a reservation to eat inside on a Tuesday evening. We ate in the alley just outside the restaurant. The service was excellent. The food was delicious. The entire dining experience was delightful and worth doing again next time we are in San Francisco.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was our second time to Cafe Claude. As before the food was well prepared and presented. The wait staff was very knowledgeable on the food and wine choices. The atmosphere was lively. I did miss the reduced presence of the "French" atmosphere since our last visit. Our food was served by a fellow who seemed to be the only "French Guy" in the place. The portions were substantial.