“Great service and food”
Review of Cafe Claude

Cafe Claude
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Claude is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #210 of 5,741 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Bush & Kearny
Description: Affectionately known as the "Paris of the West," Cafe Claude is a San Francisco institution. Situated on one of the city's hidden alleys, Claude Lane, Cafe Claude offers a taste of France, with classic bistro dishes at lunch and dinner, a full bar, and an affordable wine list. On warm days, linger on the patio and enjoy a rare dose of sunshine, or a warming bowl of onion soup or coq au vin inside. On weekends, the restaurant comes alive with live jazz from 7 to 10pm, Thursday through Saturdays.
Renton, Washington
“Great service and food”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I made my reservation via OpenTable (for 1) and was in a bit of a rush when I arrived. The staff sat me down right away even though I was a few minutes early. I ordered the special of the day which was a rabbit (shredded dish) served with some pasta and mashed potato with some vegetables, along with the corn bisque soup and eventually the creme brulee dessert. All three items were very good. The soup was extremely smooth and not heavily salted (which I prefer). The main entree was also very good although I believe it was a little salty (although I like food that is not heavily salted, so I think most people would have liked the amount of salt). The rabbit meat was cooked well (not overdone). The creme brulee was also quite good - sweet without being to the point of being overly sweet.

The service was also excellent. My server (I believe Marina was her name) was extremely helpful based on the questions I asked especially on the sizes of the portions. She also understood when I made note I was in a hurry and delivered the creme brulee with my check. The dishes also came out quickly - I've had experiences with French bistros that have taken a long time to bring out the dishes. Thus the pacing was great according to my standards.

The price seemed decent compared to some of the other food I had in restaurants in San Francisco so it was a good value. The restaurant is a bit difficult to find - and I didn't really like the alley-way location.

• Visited October 2012

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“A very relaxing setting”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Cafe Claude is tucked away in a side street and offers the perfect place to unwind and relax after a day's sightseeing. The service is beyond compare and the food is great. We ate inside, which was fine, but outside looked a lot of fun and we would try that if we went again. You can't go wrong here!

• Visited August 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Great food, great atmosphere!”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We enjoyed the steak and the cheese platter - possibly the best steak I've ever eaten. The atmosphere was authentic
French (for a restaurant in America anyway), and a live jazz band added a great touch. I'd go back in a heartbeat - although it was pricier than some restaurants, the quality of the food made it more than worth it.

Seattle, WA
“Authentic and Comfortable, would return”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I am writing the review a bit later so do not recall all specifics but we were able to get a table outside under the headlamps without reservations. All of the food and wine was amazing! The slanted pavement where the outside area is not perfect but that would not keep me away. Friendly and helpful staff.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Sunzhine
Fort Worth, Texas
“Cafe Claude is just lovely!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Did a lot of research on where to dine in SF without spending a fortune and am SO glad we found Cafe Claude! My adult daughter and I ate outside and delighted in the passing parade down Claude Alley, but we most enjoyed the service - just excellent - and the food. Especially pleasing were escargot, haricot verts, and the divine desserts. There was no music that night, but we didn't miss it. Don't you miss Cafe Claude!

• Visited August 2012