“Excellent ravioli-not very good service”

L'Osteria del Forno
Ranked #347 of 5,825 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: As our name indicate, most of the food is cooked in the oven, like the best thin-crust pizza in town, thinly sliced pork loin roasted in milk, penne with meat sauce... And our extraordinary focaccia! We only cook fresh produce for 26 years!
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Visited San Francisco to attend a Convention and had dinner here with friends that live that city. Food was excellent-I ordered carpaccio and ravioli with ricotta. However, we all agreed the waitress was not very friendly. It was also disappointing to know they don't accept credit cards-no way in 2013...

1  Thank Tutty256

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I really rather enjoyed our visit to this place until it came to pay the bill and we discovered that they didn't accept credit cards… This was a pity as the food and wine while not spectacular did have an authentic Italian flavour to them. And our waitress (kind of Lauren Bacall meets Mrs Overall) was entertaining and friendly. Could be worth a punt - and there are plenty of other options on this part of Colombus Avenue if it doesn't appeal.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

My wife and I ate here three years ago and thought the food was great. Recommended it to friends who went last year and they said that it was good but not great. We were excited to go again but we were very disappointed with the food. My pizza was dry and the crust was "chewy' not crusty. My wife's pumpkin ravioli was okay but not great. The wine and the service were good but we were very disappointed since we had thought this was going to be a great meal.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife is Italian, so we try and find great Italian restaurants while we travel. We tried three restaurants in this area of SF and this was our favorite. We brought back our friends for a second visit. Really enjoyed the shaved fennel with parm appetizer. Didn't offer this one our second visit. However, when we asked about it, our same waitress from before returned from the kitchen to tell us they could prepare it just for us. Great pastas. Moderate portions, which I like and reflected in the lower than usual cost of the entree. Very good choice.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We ate here twice for lunch and were seated immediately at one of the 12 small tables. The atmosphere was cozy and not conceited. The service is impeccable but not stuffy. The staff is funny, friendly, and attentive. The superior food is appetizing and classic Italian. I had the roast prepared in milk, my wife had thin crust pizza, and soup. Our coffee was delicious.