“Never Did See A Cash Only Notice”

L'Osteria del Forno
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Osteria del Forno is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #419 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: As our name indicate, most of the food is cooked in the oven, like the best thin-crust pizza in town, thinly sliced pork loin roasted in milk, penne with meat sauce... And our extraordinary focaccia! We only cook fresh produce for 26 years!
Roseville, California
“Never Did See A Cash Only Notice”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I took my son and two grandsons here for lunch. It was a spontaneous choice as it turned out the place I wanted to take them wasn't open for lunch. I liked the intimacy of the place. The food wasn't bad... the (one) pizza quite good I thought. I did feel they were a little stingy with both the bread and the glass of house red I ordered. The boys all had soda and our bill came to $67.00. The woman server was just OK, didn't engage at all or join in as I tried to give my grandson's the Italian experience.. I was hoping for a little charm. At the end of the meal, when she brought the check (a copy of which I did not receive) I was surprised when she said they didn't take credit or debit cards. If there was a sign on the door it was covered by the people waiting outside of the door. I was able to scrape up the cash but not a very healthy tip. I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have the cash. I left with a bad feeling. I would not eat here again.

• Visited January 2013

• Polish first
New York
“Good, cash-only restaurant in Little Italy”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The focaccia sandwiches and pizza were tasty. The place is very small and only accepts cash. The service was a bit slow, but the meal was very good. I knew that they didn't accept credit cards ahead of time, so that wasn't a problem. It's located around many other Italian restaurants, so I'm going to say that their longevity is probably a testament to their good food and decent prices.

• Visited December 2012
“Tried to deceive us”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Payment: Cash only.
It is written on the menu. On the back side. Absolutely not correct treatment.
Service? Very poor.
Food? Just ok, but at the end they brought us a simle handwritten piece of paper with their version of "bill". The tip (19%!) was already calculated by them(!) and presented to us as if it was part of the bill we had to pay. When I asked for a proper receipt from the machine, one of the sisters that run the place started saying with an attitude that they "are an old fashion restaurant and do not have machine for the receipts" and things like that... Absolutely incompetent!

Thinking back, I believe they did so because the normal procedure would be to emit the receipt and then it is on the customer's discretion to leave the tip. By doing so, they presented a bill WITH the tip THEY wanted to charge us. They couldn't do it if they brought a normal machine receipt.
They treated us as if we were stupid and had never travelled around...
Needless to say that because of this experience we left SF without the best impression.

To me, it seemed like this osteria is evading taxes.
I will definitely not be back.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Falls short of appearance from the street.”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Looks really nice walking by but food is just OK and service was quite disappointing.
From the start, the server was MIA and inattentive. Had to ask for bread which came with the meal. After anothet person delivered the food, didn't see the server again...

Clover, South Carolina
“Great Italian food. Poor attitudes though and told CASH only when we received the bill.”
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Quaint, small Italian restaurant run by 2 sisters. Food was great and quite affordable, but very poor attitudes. We were told CASH only when we received the bill. We had to go to an ATM to pay the bill. The one sister said 'Cash only' was on the menu. And it was... It was on the back of the menu at the bottom of the
Menu... Easily missed. Due to really bad, inconvenienced attitude, and cash only without proper heads up warning when we ordered our meals.... I won't be back.

1 Thank Dmooreblack