“Dashiell Hammett Ate Here (or at least he should have)”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of John's Grill

John's Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
John's Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #155 of 5,645 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Powell Street
Description: John's Grill has been a San Francisco tradition since 1908. This historic restaurant is one of the city's oldest and most famous and is a favorite of celebrities who enjoy great steaks, expertly prepared fresh seafood with excellent service and a one of a kind atmosphere. John's Grill was a setting in author Dashiell Hammetts, The Maltese Falcon. The restaurant has earned many tributes: it has been chosen as one of the 10 best by Esquire and featured in Gourmet Magazine. Live jazz nightly in the upper level dining room. ZAGAT RATED: Food 26 / Decor 24 / Service 25 / Cost $44 "Step back in time" at this circa-1908 Downtown "landmark", where "solid steakhouse fare" and "strong drinks" draw "tourists and locals alike"; "one of the last old-style SF eateries", it's also renowned as a "Dashiell Hammett hangout" (and a setting in The Maltese Falcon.)"
Shasta, California
“Dashiell Hammett Ate Here (or at least he should have)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Great atmosphere, attentive service, good food, nostalgic decor and the Maltese Falcon. Who could ask for more?

Visited October 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Great Liver”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

If you like liver cooked to perfection, this is the place. Good to visit a Restaurant with so much
history. I am a liver fan and they are really good. Great location in downtown, with good service.

• Visited December 2011
Granby, Colorado
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Our bill was almost as much as Morton's and not near as good. My fish dinner was great, but my husbands steak was just ok, not that great. The staff was too busy to care about our table. The wine was pretty good, but very pricey for what it was. Our table was between two other tables and we were too close together, so we felt forced to listen to their conversations

Visited October 2012
Silicon Valley, CA
“Crab and shrimp salad was a whole meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was at a conference and didn't want to fall asleep in the afternoon so I thought I'd order a salad. Well most shrimp salads or crab salads come with a lot of greens and a couple of pieces of seafood. Well not at John's! This "thing" had so much crab and so much shrimp in it that I still fell asleep in the afternoon. I would get this for a dinner, not a lunch! I love crab so I had to eat it all. And I loved every minute of it. The dressing was tossed with all the ingredients giving each and every bite like a taste of heaven.

This place is only a ten minute walk from the Moscone Center. Well worth it! Go early to get a table. We had 5 people squeezed into a table for four (cause we didn't want to wait). Cozy but coulda definitely used more room!

• Visited October 2012
Albany, New York
“Great tasting filet, but overpriced overall”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Went here early one night for dinner and didn't have trouble getting a table. I'm assuming because it was at about 6 pm. Two of us had the Filet Mignon, which was cooked perfectly. The menu didn't mention that the steak came with sides, so we each ordered a side, and ended up with too much to eat! I had the Roquefort Salad to start, and it was huge - could have actually been a dinner salad because it was covered with shrimp, and there was enough for at least two. Our waitress looked like she didn't want to be there and wasn't friendly, but she did her job. They didn't have mojitos or the wine we were hoping for. The atmosphere was kind of neat though, old timey wood walled steakhouse feel with nice dim lighting. If you like dessert, I highly recommend the chocolate mousse - fantastic. Overall good food, just priced pretty high in my opinion - our bill was $180 for two salads, 2 steaks, 1 seafood dinner, one glass of wine and one dessert.

• Visited October 2012