First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Ellis St.
Transit: Muni, BART Powell St. station is 1/2 block away.
Description: First Crush offers a "casual upscale" atmosphere for individuals, private events and large parties in the heart of San Francisco's Union Square district, featuring the largest all-California wine list in the city. Low ceilings, polished decor and a cool backdrop of ambient music contribute to an intimate setting for enjoying First Crush's elegant American French cuisine. The restaurant has been awarded the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for fourteen years running.
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were a group of 26 and all of us came out raving about this place after we had our three course meal, the service was great and delivery of food was speedy.
First the crush salad, though it didn't look great, the ingredients and taste were amazing, I couldn't get enough of the nuts with the vinegrette dressing. The main course that I got was the aspargus Linguini, i am a pasta lover and I know a good pasta dish when I taste one, this was one the best, the pasta was cooked perfectly, the sauce was yummy and best of all the asparagus was cooked lightly and crunchy and kept the bright green color which made the dish look and taste fresh as can be. The other groups ordered many different dishes and all were great according to them, a cooking experienced housewife said that the rib dish was cooked like she would cook it at her own home !
Now the best of all was the dessert, the bread pudding ala mode, they might had me in mind when they served it with raspberries and NO raisins because this is just the way i like it, it tasted amazing with the vanilla icecream scoop.
If i ever visit San Francisco again i will definitely look up that place again. Don't miss it !

There are newer reviews for First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

I made a reservation for 1 for 615 pm on Sat 10/19. They asked if I was ok " at the bar" being just 1 person - I said "ok". Well they didn't sit me at the main bar - they sat me downstairs against a wall with a small shelf for a table. When I questioned the hostess, she said they were busy with couples & large parties. Really ? I stated I was fine at the main bar and that I made my reservation days ago & expected a decent table. She said sorry but since I was "only one" this was the best she could do. How rude!!!! I went around the corner to the urban tavern and had a lovely glass of wine - sat at the bar and was treated kindly with respect - even though I was " just one".

3  Thank CathleenSLC
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We have been to this restaurant in the past and enjoyed it... hoping for a special evening - we dressed up and made reservations for 8PM... We were showed to the bar area - our table near a wall that was spattered with some sort of sauce - When I asked about the dining room - I was told that was only for larger parties - we had always been served in the dining room before. My question seemed to set the tone for the rest of the evening... we were not served bread, until requested (and then the waiter seemed a bit put out) - I asked for the "well gin" for a martini - I was told it was "Amsterdam" - I thought to take that as an adventure, but was charged for Sapphire. The dinner was marginal - the carrots were not properly washed - they were gritty... the lamb was dry... just OK.... to add insult... the receptionist walked among the tables asking how everyone was doing.... making a point NOT to ask us - and even to turn her back to us as she asked the table along side. This was a sad $100. plus experience... I have had a very upsetting time... and want to help others to avoid

1  Thank LRA45
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We made a reservation with the Concierge in our hotel the the Parc 55 right next to the First Crush, little did we realize that Crush was the operative word. We arrived for our 7.15pm reservation and were shown down stairs into the "basement" our table was at the far end of this long low cavern, the middle table of three small tables. To say the space was tight is an understatement, it seemed we would eat as if we were in the middle seat of three on a plane, all wrist and no elbows.
We sat for a moment, but decided it was not for us and left, given we made our reservation well in advance we were somewhat disappointed to be offered, "the middle seat".
We obviously cannot comment on the food, but our brief interaction with Hostess and server, suggested our decision to leave was the right one.

2  Thank DavidK41
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The bar is great, but the food is just so-so. I ordered a steak and asked for it medium rare and it was pretty well cooked and tough when it arrived at my table, so that was a bit of a disappointment. For the price ($35 for the steak), I would go elsewhere next time. There are tons of great restaurants for the same money in SF.

1  Thank NikiB5