“No time for a single person”

First Crush Restaurant Wine Bar & Lounge
Ranked #847 of 5,665 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Union Square
Cross street: Ellis St.
Transit: Muni, BART Powell St. station is 1/2 block away.
Description: First Crush offers a "casual upscale" atmosphere for individuals, private events and large parties in the heart of San Francisco's Union Square district, featuring the largest all-California wine list in the city. Low ceilings, polished decor and a cool backdrop of ambient music contribute to an intimate setting for enjoying First Crush's elegant American French cuisine. The restaurant has been awarded the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence for fourteen years running.
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
“No time for a single person”
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

I made a reservation for 1 for 615 pm on Sat 10/19. They asked if I was ok " at the bar" being just 1 person - I said "ok". Well they didn't sit me at the main bar - they sat me downstairs against a wall with a small shelf for a table. When I questioned the hostess, she said they were busy with couples & large parties. Really ? I stated I was fine at the main bar and that I made my reservation days ago & expected a decent table. She said sorry but since I was "only one" this was the best she could do. How rude!!!! I went around the corner to the urban tavern and had a lovely glass of wine - sat at the bar and was treated kindly with respect - even though I was " just one".

3 Thank CathleenSLC

Gualala, California, United States
“upsetting”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We have been to this restaurant in the past and enjoyed it... hoping for a special evening - we dressed up and made reservations for 8PM... We were showed to the bar area - our table near a wall that was spattered with some sort of sauce - When I asked about the dining room - I was told that was only for larger parties - we had always been served in the dining room before. My question seemed to set the tone for the rest of the evening... we were not served bread, until requested (and then the waiter seemed a bit put out) - I asked for the "well gin" for a martini - I was told it was "Amsterdam" - I thought to take that as an adventure, but was charged for Sapphire. The dinner was marginal - the carrots were not properly washed - they were gritty... the lamb was dry... just OK.... to add insult... the receptionist walked among the tables asking how everyone was doing.... making a point NOT to ask us - and even to turn her back to us as she asked the table along side. This was a sad $100. plus experience... I have had a very upsetting time... and want to help others to avoid

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank LRA45
Riverside, California
“Only if You Are Small”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We made a reservation with the Concierge in our hotel the the Parc 55 right next to the First Crush, little did we realize that Crush was the operative word. We arrived for our 7.15pm reservation and were shown down stairs into the "basement" our table was at the far end of this long low cavern, the middle table of three small tables. To say the space was tight is an understatement, it seemed we would eat as if we were in the middle seat of three on a plane, all wrist and no elbows.
We sat for a moment, but decided it was not for us and left, given we made our reservation well in advance we were somewhat disappointed to be offered, "the middle seat".
We obviously cannot comment on the food, but our brief interaction with Hostess and server, suggested our decision to leave was the right one.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank DavidK41
Maumee, OH
“So-so”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The bar is great, but the food is just so-so. I ordered a steak and asked for it medium rare and it was pretty well cooked and tough when it arrived at my table, so that was a bit of a disappointment. For the price ($35 for the steak), I would go elsewhere next time. There are tons of great restaurants for the same money in SF.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank NikiB5
Holland
“Nice restaurant place near our hotel”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were staying at The Hilton Union Square, and needed a good place to eat nearby.
Then there are there not so many choices and we ended up here, because having walked along it already a couple of times we noticed it was generally well occopied, especially upstairs..so it must at least be reasonable. And so it was, nothing special but with good menu, well prepared food, fast and friendly service. Both the Bolognese lam for my wive as well the Halibut for myself were precisely good prepared. We were first to be seated downstairs close to the entrance but felt to much draught and could be seated further up
Bottom line ...good value for money ...provided your seating is ok

• Visited September 2013