“The best gourmet vegetarian food in San Francisco”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Millennium - MOVED

Millennium
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Jones
Fremont, California
“The best gourmet vegetarian food in San Francisco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have been dining at Millenium for years, & am only now realizing that I had not written a much needed review. Millenium is a high price end, creative, vegan restaurant. The menu is varied & changes regularly. You will not find vegetarian substitutes for usual non vegetarian foods. Instead you will find creative dishes & ingredients. There are some regular menu items that I want to highlight - the black bean torte & the chocolate midnight desert. Recently, we also had the flatbread, soup, polenta, risotto cake, & for drinks, the sweet ending, creamsicle & sparkling grape. If you are a San Francisco Vegetarian Society member & show your card, you get 10% off. I & the people I have dined here with including friends, family & my wife, have always loved the food here. On special occasions, they have a fixed price menu & that can also be nice. Their gourmet cakes, needing 2 days advance notice, to order, are some of the best cakes around - vegan or not! This is a restaurant that we like to come to once or twice a year for special occasions or with guests. Parking is on the street or in a local garage. Be sure to make reservations - they fill up weeks in advance. They are not open for lunch.

• Visited April 2013

• Korean first
Denver, Colorado
“Unless You're Vegan, Don't Bother”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I don't know if we dined on an off night or what, but I can't understand all the hype surrounding this restaurant. We made our reservation after reading oodles of high praise on OpenTable and TripAdvisor. An omnivore friend said his Millenium experience was one of the best meals he'd had, vegan or not. Our expectations were high, I'll admit.

We started with pistachio-stuffed dates and roasted potatoes. While the dates were good, I think they would have been better served warm instead of cold. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the potatoes were incredibly hot when they came out and I burned my mouth. Again, they were good, but nothing memorable.

The problem with the entrees is that I felt like there was too much of an attempt to turn ingredients into something they're not meant to be. When I cook for certain dietary restrictions, I prefer to serve things that naturally conform to those restrictions. A gorgeous plate of roasted vegetables over non-dairy polenta would have been ideal, for instance. Barbecued tempeh will never be andouille sausage, sorry.

We were so disappointed after our entrees that we opted out of dessert.

In regards to service, my husband and I felt like we got a weird vibe from our server when we answered the "Are you vegetarian?" question with a "no." We were also without silverware when our entrees were delivered (replacement had been prompt with each course up until this point) and sat for several minutes until the situation was remedied.

If you're a vegan and you feel like you're generally missing out on the restaurant experience, I'm sure this place is paradise. For those of us who can and will eat anything, though, there are way better options. I wish I could get my last meal in San Francisco and my $100 back.

• Visited April 2013
Oslo, Norway
“Fantastic vegan food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Found a reccommendation in the Lonely Planet guide for this restaurant and trecked through the centre of town to try it. The food was amazing! All vegan and I couldn't stop before I had had three courses! A bit pricey but it was definitly worth it. Friendly staff.

Visited April 2013
“Very Good Meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I would have given them 4 stars because the food was great and inventive but at the end of our meal a mouse ran out from under a table across from us twice.

Visited April 2013
jamaica
“WOW! BRAVO TO THIS TEAM OF CHEFS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I were so excited to get in to this restaurant that we have had a cookbook from for many years. Living on the East Coast made it difficult to try this place in person.... so when we could finally get a trip to San Francisco... this was the first place we called to get a reservation and they had one open up at the last moment and we took it!
What a treat... better than ever expected and we expected alot! My husband is a Professional Chef and his food is amazing also... but these Chefs at this restaurant took us to a new level of appreciation of what can be done when you love what you do!

Thank you so much for making our vacation food experience the best memory of all the things we did out there!

I can't recommend anything in particular, because we ate alot of items and had no complaints on any of them... the desserts where the cherry on top!

Get over to this place.... and treat yourself to another world of cooking.

• Visited February 2013