“My destination....time and time again”

Hog Island Oyster Company
Ranked #15 of 5,775 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed January 26, 2014

You may think...why is there such a long line? Just for oysters? But I assure you...it is worth the wait. They are expanding this month and the restaurant will be closed for 3 months.....but I was informed an informal stand will remain. Despite expanding, I presume the waiting times will remain...It is a favorite of locals and tourists. It's casual, inviting, and absolutely delicious. I have never had a bad oyster here and I have been known to eat several dozen in one sitting. Now if you are not an oyster aficionado....the clam chowder is probably the best, the grilled cheese is excellent, as well as the baked fish of the day. Other seasonal seafood is also featured periodically. The small beer and wine list are all great matches. The bread on the table is exceptional. I have eaten here easily 20 times and cannot say enough...it is worth the wait in line!

1  Thank docfoodie2013
There are newer reviews for Hog Island Oyster Company

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I have been to this location 3 times prior and every time I enjoyed the experience sitting at the bar solo facing the bay bridge and slurping on oysters (sweetwaters and happy hour fare) and dinking wine and chatting with whomever is rubbing elbows with me at the bar if they are inclined. Loved the ambience and food and I nerviously await the reopening of the renovated space for my next visit/trip to S.F.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Located in the Ferry building in the back. Seating is limited for now - they will close end of January and reopen during the spring in order to expand. Hopefully this will help to reduce the wait. We waited easily 20-30 minutes for a seat. Once seated, service is quick and good. They offer about 8-10 different kind of oysters on the half shell, divided pretty much evenly between the Atlantic and the Pacific. In addition to the fresh oyster the offer a selection of prawns, crab, baked oysters, chowders and salads. All in all this was a great meal. The oysters are the best I ever had.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

The clam chowder was creamy broth full of clams, veggies, and potatoes. I think my wife counted at least 20 clams. And the fresh bread was perfect to dip in the clammy broth that remained. We started our meal with half a dozen oysters, also amazing.

We had dreams of eating bread bowl clam chowder on Fisherman's Wharf, but after eating here for lunch why bother eating that stuff!?

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Located at the Ferry Market Building, Pier 1. The clam chowder here is truly a cut above-unlike the starchy potato laden ones. The selection of oysters here is awesome too. On Mondays and Thursdays between 5-7pm, Oysters are half priced at $1.50 each-fantastic value! Be warned that the queue can take up to an hour. It is best to arrive at 4:15pm and wait for the restaurant to open at 5pm. That way you are almost guaranteed a first seating. The specials of the day are worth eating - we had a cod fish and it was fresh and delicious.