“Some of the freshest seafood around”

Hog Island Oyster Company
Ranked #15 of 5,775 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed November 4, 2013

While it isn't an extensive menu, it is fresh and delicious! Multiple choices of fresh oysters, yummy steamed mussels and clams with plenty of bread for dipping. The clam chowder is unique with lots of fresh steamed clams in the shell provided with the brimming bowl of chowder. Tiny spot so it does fill up fast and most often there is a wait no matter when you arrive. But the wait is not that long as service is fairly fast. At any rate, worth the wait, definitely a must stop when visiting the Ferry Building and San Francisco.

There are newer reviews for Hog Island Oyster Company

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have been to Hog Island Oyster around early October. It was a really beautiful day, so I enjoyed this nice oyster restaurant with a beautiful seaside scenery.
The restaurant had both inside and outside tables, so we were able to enjoy eating with a great view which were a big bay bridge and the sea was emerald green.

I ordered Oyster Bar Mix (a selection of all oysters they have; 12pcs 36USD) and clam chowder and beer.
The chowder was a little bit salty, but it was very tasty. There were a plenty of clams in the bowl.
Also they served us the oysters with the shells on the ices. There were 6 or 7 kind of the oysters. It looked very fashionable and the taste was really good, especially, one of the bland "Kumamoto" was so creamy and good.
We can eat oysters with their original vinegar sauce. It was also very good.
I like the bread too. It was also delicious. I was very satisfied.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I am now officially an oyster lover! My husband and I went for happy hour as he is an oyster lover and I had reservations about the whole raw fish thing. No more! I ordered the baked casino oysters and he ordered raw sweet water oysters. We shared and made a point of going back again before the end of our stay in SF.
Downside is the wait. Especially if there is a wind off the water. But the food was worth the wait : )

Also good selection of beers to chase them down with!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I was in SF on business and the Hog Island happened to be near my hotel. Even though the Ferry Building is filled with tourists, and maybe the Hog Island was as well, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of eating there. I had the clam chowder (filled with clams still in the shell) and a dozen mixed oysters, along with a few glasses of wine. It was so good, I had the same thing a few nights later!
The first night I sat at the counter across from two guys shucking oysters with the ease and expertise of professionals, which added to the fun.
There is indoor and outdoor seating along with about a half dozen seats along the counter. While there was a line both times, it moves quickly (and if you are alone, you'll usually get seated even faster as long as you're happy with the counter). The service is friendly and brisk and the view of the bay is an added bonus.
Will definitely be back the next time I'm in SF.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

These are some of the best freshest oysters I have ever had
You could drink the sea water from them
Service was fast and efficient and with inside and outside seating
You have a spectacular view
A great choice of very fresh oysters