“Dim Sum Fun”

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: SoMa
Description: Yank Sing Restaurants specializes in traditional and contemporary Dim Sum and is located in the heart of San Francisco.
Reviewed July 19, 2014

My daughter and I ate here whilst doing tourist stuff on her first trip to SF. I had been previously with work colleagues. The dim sum process is demystified, as someone comes by with a trolley of tasty treats every few minutes. Crowded on a Saturday but no problem squeezing two people in. Everything we tried (all veg options) was tasty, tho' excessively salty. A but pricy, but who cares? A great choice if you are downtown.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I have come to peace with the prices at Yank Sing, which seem to be about double any other dim sum place. What has given me peace is the realization that dim sum is a great snack option and to avoid it for full meals. On our last trip to SF, we needed an afternoon pick me up after a late breakfast and anticipating an early dinner. Yank Sing really hit the stop. We had some tea and our 4 favorite dim sum items, placing a couple of orders for one particular favorite. We were probably dinged around $40, but the food was great, the service efficient, and it was not crowded in the early afternoon. I have seen all the reviews and know there are better places in SF, but none with better locations, more convenience, and reliable excellence, albeit at a cost.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

It has been about five years since I last had dim sum at Yank Sing-Rincon Center and I am happy to report that the dim sum is still very good (and comparatively more expensive). They honored my reservation, which allow me to skip ahead of a few waiting people, so one star for that! They quickly came to get our choice of tea and brought it promptly - another star. Their XLB was tasty and juicy, but not very big. There are frankly better xlb's in SF. That taro cake was excellent but their fried taro dumpling was a little burnt. The Shrimp Dumplings had huge shrimps, not the chopped-up smaller shrimp usually found in cheaper establishments. Others tried, like Baked pork buns, pork dumplings, crab and shrimp dumplings, pea spout dumplings, and others were all very good. Not as good as Fisherman's Terrace in Richmond B.C., or the top places in HK, but still very good. Parking is never easy, but they offer discounted parking ($4 for 2 hours on weekdays, free validated parking on weekends). Prices at $6 to $8 per plate average were about 50% to 60% higher than places in Chinatown, but the very good quality, convenient parking, upscale setting (and clean bathrooms) made it a worthwhile dining experience. If you just want to chow down, go to chinatown and enjoy yourself and save a few dollars (or more), but for a nicer dining experience, try yank sing. Depending on how much you order, $30 to $40 pp is about usual when you include the tea charge,3% surcharge, tips and taxes.

1  Thank notperfectalas2
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Wow, wow and wow. Yank Sing has a reputation of having the best dim sum in the city, and I believe it. The food was extraordinary. I have had dim sum in China, Hong King and Honolulu and this was every bit as good. Highly recommended if you want dim sum.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Several years back I lived in Hong Kong for a couple of years and was introduced to dim sum. Since returning to the states, I've found only a few places that serve dim sum as good as that which I had in Hong Kong. Yank Sing's food is outstanding. It pleased my discriminating palate and got the highest approval from my wife as well.

Be mindful that you'll spend considerably more for dim sum here than any other place you'll find in Chinatown.

For $47 we had deliciously huge giant deep-fried prawns, a large plate of stir-fried peas, a plate of 4-5 pot stickers, and a plate of what was called the house special, steamed pork dumplings. There was so much more wheeled by that looked appealing but we were stuffed with what we ordered. We visit SF at least once a year and, on our next visit this will be the first place we stop at to eat. It's in the business district near the Embarcadero Center, just off Market Street. We punched the address into our phone and walked right to it after a Saturday morning visit to the Farmers' Market at the Ferry Building.