“very good overall experience”
Review of Ozumo

Ozumo
Reserve with OpenTable
Ozumo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #184 of 5,861 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Mission Street
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I've lived in the SF Bay Area for over a dozen years now, and Ozumo is right next to my office. I've been coming here for HH and dinner for quite a while. While some restaurants have come and gone nearby, it and only a couple others have been staples in the area. That's telling for how well it's been able to adapt to the boom and bust cycles of SF.

They have a limited, but good HH for beers and appetizers. Come early because the bar area can get crowded, and HH ends somewhat early for the downtown area. They have a good selection of sake and a full bar. A sushi dinner can be pricey, especially with drinks. It can have a cozy or posh feel to it, depending on where you sit for dinner.

All in all, it's a place that I enjoy coming back to again and again.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Spent a happy evening here a few years ago sipping $20 glasses of local Pinot. This time around, the service felt a bit perfunctory. The "Mifune" bento at lunch was fine, but nothing special. Gets crowded and noisy - really noisy -- really really noisy -- at night. The wine list still looks good, and there's a wealth of experiences for sake lovers as well.

Ozumo is the de facto restaurant for the Harbor Court, whose lobby is through a door in the resto.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

My family and I were visiting San Francisco and decided to try Ozumo on recommendation from a friend. We had reservations and were seated at a table by the Robata counter which was empty. We shared Hamachi, spicy tuna rolls, tempura, black cod ,agedashi tofu, waygu beef and shaba shabu. All were very good. Rice pudding was ok. Great variety of sake but expensive. The waitress was somewhat inattentive but we were able to flag her down after awhile.

We returned three days later (Monday, Christmas Eve) without a reservation and found a table in the lounge. Waitress was much more attentive than in the main dining room. We had a similar good meal except for the spicy tuna rolls in which the tuna was on the old side. I informed the waitress who said that she would pass the info on. One can usually tell a good sushi restaurant by tasting the maguro (tuna) . Granted, the spicy tuna rolls are usually made from scraps of tuna or tuna scraped from the bones which is quite tasty if fresh. I think more attention should be paid to quality control but with a staff as large as Ozumo this is hard to be
consistent. All in all, this is a very good restuarant.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Loved Ozumo!! The food was great, my wife and i shared the black cod, egg plant, sweet potato and a maki roll. All of it was very good except the black cod which was amazing, probably the best piece of fish I have ever eaten.

We also had dessert and shared a flight of Sake. All of the above came in at just under $100.00 which seemed reasonable for the area. Our server was knowledgeable and helped us pick our meal above, and we loved all of the recommendations.

Book your seat early because it does fill up, and ask for a window seat looking out at the Bay Bridge.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Plan to order a variety of dishes and share. Portions are huge but the taste sure is. I'd go here again in a second!