“Good Food with Friends” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of R & G Lounge

R & G Lounge
Ranked #146 of 5,626 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood, Asian, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Ann Arbor, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Food with Friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

If you're used to americanized Chinese restaurants, expect to have a different experience. The restaurant is on a corner, located a block away from a Hilton hotel :) and public indoor parking. Get your parking ticket validated with your meal. I've been told that it's easier to get in for lunch than for dinner due to its popularity. I got there at 11:30 a.m. which was perfect as the place was standing room only by 12:15.

The food presentation is professional and appealing. I went with a group and there were several dishes that I would go back to try. The menu selection gives you the option to order your own dish or get several options to share. The seafood looked fresh, the vegetables were vibrant, and the other protein options were delicious. Check out the place for an experience. Plan on being there for at least an hour or longer as the food is not brought out quickly. Enjoy!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Reno
“Great food in ChinaTown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Excellent food - especially the seafood. The service was a little slow and less than attentive, but the food makes up for it. Arrive early because this place is extremely busy.

Ambler, Pennsylvania
“Authentic Cantonese cuisine, and, yes, I am Cantonese.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

I was in San Fran for 3 days and I dined there twice. Believe me, I'd dine there every meal if I could, despite a good 20-min walk up and down the hills from my hotel to the place.
It is the only place where I found DECENT and AUTHENTIC Cantonese dishes that actually match those offered in quality restaurants in Guangzhou (Canton) or Hong Kong. The great thing is, not only the Chinese find it authentic, my American friends, 9 of them, all loved the dishes.
Not to brag too much about it, but that is the charm of authentic Cantonese--fresh yet flavorful, healthy yet tasty, exquisite yet inexpensive. (And, yes, I am Cantonese.) And these are exactly what I found about the food in R&G Lounge.
p.s. It does not affect me in any way as long as the food is that good, but I think they have a Michelin 3- or 4-star rating too.

• Visited April 2013
San Luis Obispo, CA
“Consistent!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

We discovered R&G Lounge several years ago and make it a point to eat here when we visit SF. If you have a big party, call ahead for reservations, however, they do take walk-ins. Ate here after a fun day of Christmas shopping (there were two of us); our wait was less than 20 minutes. The only bad thing about going with only 2 people is that you can't order everything on their menu! I love their R&G Special House Beef, Honey Spareribs, and the Salt & Pepper crab is great. Thanks R&G!

san francisco bay area
“Avoid R&G Lounge”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Awful service. Avoid the chicken sate, broccoli chicken and expect to feel sick from eating so much fat if you order the crab. They messed up several dishes we ordered, were slow and rude. Must be the holiday rush, but as a local with friends from out of town, I know there are much better places to eat in China town.

• 2 of 5 bubbles