“Good dim sum in Chinatown landmark”

Great Eastern Restaurant
Ranked #608 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I had a couple of other places in mind that were less pricey or touristy but my Taiwanese friend suggested Great Eastern. I wasnt disappointed. Tamen you hen hao chi (they have very good food). No carts but you choose from menu or pictures. The service was fine and courteous and getting there early, about 11:30 on a Tuesday probably helped. It was mostly Chinese at that time but many tourist types when we left close to 1. We enjoyed dishes like sauteed green beans, roast duck/kao ya, shu mai, jiaozi, etc.
So if you dont want to take a chance on a less fancy, little English speaking place, you should like Great Eastern.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We were drawn by the pictures of President Obama and a local recommendation. Considering the restaurant was busy we were seated immediately, and order taken promptly. I have to say that whilst the waiter was friendly I wasn't too sure about his command of English and that would have been a drawback if our order had been complicated. But the food came out promptly, was very fresh and tasty, and plenty of it, so a very good experience in that respect. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they included the tip when presenting the credit card receipt for signature - I firmly believe that is customer's choice. Also, not the cheapest, in fact, the most expensive meal on holiday so far, but worth it.

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

This place totally reminded me of many of the places I ate family style in China. We had dim sum and really enjoyed most everything (the XO sauce green beans - yum!) Steamed pork buns were just the way I liked them. So many other good things, too. Picture menu for dim sum meant our kids had a ball also picking out food to try. The staff doesn't fawn over you, but that also reminded me of my China experience! We were the only whites in the resturant and most every other table was Chinese. (Kind of cracks me up that we judge restaurants this way!) My daughter is actually Chinese and pretty picky about her food and she LOVED it, too (her fave bean paste sesame balls.) Chinatown Alleyway Tours is where we got the recommendation.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I'm usually not one to complain but this restaurant does not have a clue about service. They wee quick to seat us but then completely ignored us and avoided eye-contact. We walked out after 20 minutes of trying to get someone to take our order. Life's too short to put up with bad service. Obama, this place is letting you down!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Well we walked pass the restaurant and it looked very busy so thought that was a good sign..... But don't think it's because of their food or staff but the fact that Obama picked up a Chinese from there and there was pictures all outside.

The staff were rude and not helpful they got my drink order wrong twice and I was only ordering a big bottle of sparkling water. After finally getting our order it took 35 minutes for the 1st dish to come out in the wrong order and to come out cold too. The duck was full of cartridge and skin with very little meat, we didn't have any cutlery and the pancakes have been sitting there on a cold plate for 5 minutes so by this time they were going hard.

We tried to talk to the staff but they were very unhelpful and walked off trying to get someone else to deal with the situation. By this time we had enough and cancelled our meal and just paid for our drinks and left.

Please also note the restaurant was cold and very dirty I was so disappointed with our experience, I am not one to moan but this restaurant didn't leave me any choice.