“I Think I Might Be A Little Biased” 4 of 5 stars

Piperade
Ranked #280 of 5,491 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Spanish, French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: b/w Union and Green
Transit: -Muni/Bart Stop nearby -Streetcars -Busline 10
Sparks, Nevada
“I Think I Might Be A Little Biased”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Being Basque, I really wanted to see what SF offered in the way of Basque cuisine. I was expecting a LOT more, so I think I was more than a little disappointed. This is a French Basque restaurant, and influenced heavily by French cuisine. Ok, I am good with that, but I really wanted a kalimotxo, a traditional Basque drink, and the bartender looked at me like I was nuts. I told her how to make it, and she was happy to oblige, but come on. I just think the staff needs to be a little more schooled in what they are serving.

That being said, the stuffed piquillo peppers were AMAZING as was the tomato tartlet. Delicious. The food was good, the dinner service was snooty, and I wish there were more traditional Basque dishes on the menu.

The menu did state that it was "West Coast Basque" which I think is a nice way of saying that there isn't much Basque stuff on the menu.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

Asheville, North Carolina
“Wonderful Basque food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Sophisticated, attentive, but not intrusive wait staff. Calamari in a reduction sauce top of the line! Great rack of lamb and Basque "'bouillabaisse". Such a fine place. Our family from Danville highly recommended this place, and we were so pleased.

Miami, Florida
“My favorite Basque restaurant in the US”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Piperade is my favorite restaurant in San Francisco. It’s always a “must -stop” for me whenever I am in the city. Basque food is considered one of the finest cuisines in the world and this restaurant does it justice. This last trip I went by myself and sat at the bar. I ordered the Piquillo Peppers, stuffed with goat cheese, pistachios and golden raisins as an appetizer. For an entrée, I ordered the Braised Seafood Stew in a red pepper sauce. See pictures, as you can tell, they were both delicious. If you want to experience Basque food, this is one restaurant I would strongly recommend. Like I said, it’s one of my favorites.

Gretna, Louisiana
“Birthday Perfection...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Such a wonderful meal in a lovely place with excellent service. Cocktails at the bar were fun and 'unique' specialties. The foursome diners shared small plates of calamari, ham, crab, and pepper stuffed with cheese. Each app was delicious but the calamari was STELLAR...we sopped every drop of the yummy sauce with the bread. Main courses of piperade wiith ham and egg, lamb chops and sausage, and seafood stew were all declared excellent and consumed voraciously. My 'entree' was the simply perfect garlic soup, a scrumptious broth with shrimp, garlic, and bits of bread and enriched by a 'scrambled' egg. I could have licked the bowl!

Berkeley, California
“Delicious experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We always wanted to try this restaurant but never did until we found a Travelzoo deal and what a deal it was. The meal was DELICIOUS, the service outstanding, this is definitely a spot we will return to. While a bit pricey it is worth it and we highly recommend.

• Visited July 2013