“Wonderful Basque food and service!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Piperade
Ranked #363 of 5,626 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: b/w Union and Green
Transit: -Muni/Bart Stop nearby -Streetcars -Busline 10
Asheville, North Carolina
“Wonderful Basque food and service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Sophisticated, attentive, but not intrusive wait staff. Calamari in a reduction sauce top of the line! Great rack of lamb and Basque "'bouillabaisse". Such a fine place. Our family from Danville highly recommended this place, and we were so pleased.

Miami, Florida
“My favorite Basque restaurant in the US”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Piperade is my favorite restaurant in San Francisco. It’s always a “must -stop” for me whenever I am in the city. Basque food is considered one of the finest cuisines in the world and this restaurant does it justice. This last trip I went by myself and sat at the bar. I ordered the Piquillo Peppers, stuffed with goat cheese, pistachios and golden raisins as an appetizer. For an entrée, I ordered the Braised Seafood Stew in a red pepper sauce. See pictures, as you can tell, they were both delicious. If you want to experience Basque food, this is one restaurant I would strongly recommend. Like I said, it’s one of my favorites.

Gretna, Louisiana
“Birthday Perfection...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Such a wonderful meal in a lovely place with excellent service. Cocktails at the bar were fun and 'unique' specialties. The foursome diners shared small plates of calamari, ham, crab, and pepper stuffed with cheese. Each app was delicious but the calamari was STELLAR...we sopped every drop of the yummy sauce with the bread. Main courses of piperade wiith ham and egg, lamb chops and sausage, and seafood stew were all declared excellent and consumed voraciously. My 'entree' was the simply perfect garlic soup, a scrumptious broth with shrimp, garlic, and bits of bread and enriched by a 'scrambled' egg. I could have licked the bowl!

Berkeley, California
“Delicious experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We always wanted to try this restaurant but never did until we found a Travelzoo deal and what a deal it was. The meal was DELICIOUS, the service outstanding, this is definitely a spot we will return to. While a bit pricey it is worth it and we highly recommend.

• Visited July 2013
San Francisco, California
“Excellent Basque food with warm ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Piperade is always a special place to me. I'd been here couple times before on business. This last time I finally grabbed a travelzoo deal and took my hunny there on a Friday Night. We got seated quickly at a nice corner window table (ahh!) With travelzoo voucher, we should have 2 sparking wines, 2 app, 2 main dishes and 2 deserts (a $69 for $144 values). We ended up having 4 sparkling wines, dungeness crab txangurro with orange grapefruit (app), calamari (app-note piperade calamari is not usual deep fried calamari), seafood stew (main), red snapper with spinach (main), dark chocolate cake and Turron mousse cake and the final bill was $71 (for the extra wines, tax and tips on the full values). Excellent travelzoo voucher values! The food? I was happy this time with all my food choices as I always was in the past. Okie, I take a star off on my hunny behalf due to he found some sands on his last piece of spinach but he said they was probably the freshest spinach he had til the last bite. Overall, good food and unique. The atmosphere? 5 stars as always: nice, warm and relaxing. The service? Excellent. Not sure why people complaint about poor service. All my time was there the service is always excellent and consistent. (When we left, we ran into chef Gerald Hiriyogen with his big polite smile and thank you). The price? Def not cheap. If you are a local and this is your normal price range, i'd say do go and go often. If you a local and the price is over your limit, I'd say wait for travelzoo deal so you can enjoy the food without hurting your pocket too much. If you a tourist, ahh, go if you can afford it and it only 2 small blocks right across the exploratorium (corner of Green and Battery). Will I come back? Might be just because there are so many places to try out in the city... okie I probably come back with my mom just to show her how Piperade has some dishes just liked her (by the way my mom is a darn good cook - that why I said Piperade is special to me). To date, Piperade is still my top choice out of $$$ restaurants (La Mar, Fringale, etc)

• 3 of 5 bubbles