“a place for adults who appreciate ambiance, service and good food”
Review of Piperade

Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: b/w Union and Green
Transit: -Muni/Bart Stop nearby -Streetcars -Busline 10
St. Catharines, Canada
“a place for adults who appreciate ambiance, service and good food”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a very fine restaurant. The room is soothing and the waiters are professionals. The food was very good. My wife started with grilled squid flavoured with an olive pesto and highligthed with mint and lemon. It was excellent. She followed this with a Basque seafood stew that was a version of a dish very much like cioppino and cleaned her plate. I chose the daily fixe prix menu special. On May 6, 2013 is was a wonderul and generous butter-lettuce salad tossed with a simple vinagrette and accented with tarragon and parsely. It was delicious. My main was a tuna and potao stew. This is a traditional Basque dish and while our waiter wasn't fond of it and told me so, I found it very tasty and satisfying. We shared the dessert that came wth my meal: orange blossom beingets! They were something between a crueller and choux pastry and drisled with a sweet orange syrup - divine. With three alcoholic drinks and coffees the bill was only $135 before tip. This is not a pretensious restaurant, it's a place for adults who want a delicious meal professionally served in a lovely room.

• Visited May 2013

“A lovely spot for date night”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Still a perfect spot for a low key date night.

I've dined here couple of times before. The warm ambiance with the excellent Basque cuisine is what keeps me coming back here. Service is uneven sometimes, but we've never had a really bad experience.

The calamari a la pancha is a delicious starter made with fennel, capers, olive and lemon. The calamari is rendered soft but not too chewy and the brightness of the flavors are a delight. The seafood stew is a winner, generously filled with scallops, prawns, mussels, clams and halibut. While you can't go wrong with the seafood items, the NY steak is well executed too.

Chef Gerald Hirigoyen started his career as a pastry chef in France, so don't miss dessert: we went for a classic tarte tatin topped with soft apples and drizzled with caramel sauce. Divine!

On a recent visit, we shared the app and dessert and the kitchen already split the dishes for us, so that's why the portions look small. Although I prefer to have the dish come as a whole, it just looks better for my pictures ;-)

Piperade is a bustling spot for lunch, but I like coming here at night because of the readily available street parking! And in SF, that's a big deal.

• Visited April 2013
Jacksonville, FL
“Does not live up to its pretensions”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This restaurant features Basque-themed fare. I ate here with a party of 5 on a recent visit to San Francisco. Compared to my many other dining experiences in the city, I have to say this one fell well short of expectations. Dishes looked attractive and included featured items tagged to days of the week. Being Wednesday, I had that day's special, shell fish with soup, to which I added a Bibb lettuce salad. The salad was perhaps a bit too simple (literally Bibb lettuce with a rather average dressing), but did give promise for my meal. Unfortunately, the "special" was rather mediocre, demonstrating no chef's touch whatsoever, overwhelmingly characterized by an over-salted "soup" pored over miscellaneous shell-fish (which included baby squid and octopus), in truth something more on the order of what a formula food kitchen might produce or something out of a can. My dining companions also commented on the lack of chef's touch for their entrees, in particular the rather bland halibut preparation and a dish featuring garlic that had so little presence of garlic our table companion actually wondered if it had been left out. Dessert offerings were imaginative and helped counter some of the negatives. The price point for this restaurant would lead one to expect much better fare, not preparations lacking the kind of chef's touch that characterize so many San Francisco restaurants. Even without the unwarranted pretension and frufru menu design, the food would still probably hold my rating below 4 stars. I've eaten at many restaurants in San Francisco that were worth a return visit. This is definitely not one of them.

San Francisco, California
“Bask in the Basque...”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

There is something very discrete, mature and private about Piperade. The restaurant has been designed in such a warm and welcoming way – you want to go in. Exposed brick walls on the inside with warm but dim lighting sets the mature vibe in the evening time - (whether you opt to sit at the bar or in the restaurant), and I guess the large glass windows make the lunch time sittings feel airy and positive.

At Piperade they prepare Basque food, but in my opinion it has a slightly healthier Californian twist in the preparation. The food is presented very nicely with a perfect range of quality wines to choose from.

It’s a super venue & perfect for a quiet mid-week dinner. I would like to highly recommend it, but selfishly I want to keep this a secret – I am not sure I want to see you all there.

Tallahassee, FL
“Very Pleasant Lunch”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stumbled on piperade by accident, but I had the most agreeable lunch there. The waitress was so pleasant and open to suggesting lunch dishes. I had the petrale sole with asparagus, a dry mineral-rich white wine, and the "basque gateau" for desert. Admittedly, I only sampled a small portion of their menu, but everything I had was done to perfection. I am definitely going to try this place again.

• Visited April 2013