“Charming!”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Nob Hill
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My son and I discovered the Nob Hill Cafe on our walk from Union Square to Fishermans Wharf. We went back a few days later to check it out and were not disappointed. We arrived at around six and got the second to last table so no waiting! My son had the calamari steak which he loved. I had the linguine with clam sauce which was unremarkable but very tasty. We shared the chocolate mousse for dessert and both of us really enjoyed it.

As we sat there we saw lots of people popping in for take out meals and by the time we left the outside tables were full of waiting diners. A popular spot on a Thursday night!

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I have both seen several cultures and experienced many different cuisines. Given this, we have always found San Francisco to be a foodie's paradise!

With the Nob Hill Cafe so close to our hotel, we decided to visit on our penultimate night in the city before thinking about heading back to Edinburgh, UK. The reviews on tripadvisor were formed heavily in the cafe's favour, so we set off with high expectations.

We were met by a lovely young waitress who advised us of the 25 minute wait, which we thought reasonable given the cafe's obvious popularity. We thought her less lovely (although she was probably rushed off her feet) when she obviously had no recollection of us when we returned 15 mins later - what we were wearing was fairly unforgettable.

The bread we were served with our drinks was lovely - no complaints. We decided to share bruschetta to start and I had to leave the toast as it was charred and rock solid. The tomatoes and basil were lovely, but that's impossible to get wrong. My better half had chicken parmigiana which was smothered in mozzarella and what appeared to be really mediocre pasta and tomato sauce - there was no difference between that and a microwave meal. My gnocchi bolognese was adequate, for something out of a can or made at home (although I've made better). We were offered no black pepper, which is usual in every Italian restaurant we've ever visited. A waiter who was particularly attentive in filling our glasses with water poured water all over my partner's plate and walked off, seemingly oblivious.The prices for our meals bore no resemblance to the quality or flavour of our dishes and we can only assume that most diners at the cafe were there for the first time - perhaps the cafe used to be better and has slipped recently? We avoided dessert and had a beautiful flourless melting chocolate pudding brought to our room at the hotel.

1  Thank hmvm
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Whenever I visit San Francisco (not often enough), I head for the Nob Hill Cafe, where I always feel like a regular even though I'm not. This is a real neighborhood restaurant, frequented by residents and visitors alike, where families, couples, and solo diners are equally welcome. Food is invariably good and reasonably priced. Yes, the no-reservation policy means you'll have to wait and sometimes wait some more. My strategy is to aim for "off" times. The cafe is open 11-3 and 5-10; I had good luck this last visit arriving for lunch a little after 2:00. Still a wait but relatively short. Both indoor and outdoor (sidewalk) dining are available. Note that Grace Cathedral is just a little over a block away - a place of great beauty and peace, both inside and throughout the spacious courtyards.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

My wife & I found a listing for Nob Hill Cafe in one of the local "What to do in San Francisco" magazines lying around our hotel room, so we thought we would give it a try. It was about a fifteen minute walk from the Fairmont Nob Hill. They don't take reservations, so we went close to dinner opening time and got a table right in the front window. I have to say I don't know when I've enjoyed a restaurant experience more. Great salad starter and fresh pasta main course, with a very good wine list. Our server was just outstanding. A wonderful Irish gal who knew the menu and wine list intimately. I would go back to San Fran just to visit the place again.

1  Thank Tom S
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

what a wonderful neighborhood gem. The food is absoultely outstanding and the service is friendly and timely. They don't take reservations so be prepared to wait. The folks who got seated before us waited for an hour, we were luckyand only waited about 20 min. The prices are also reasonable. There was nothing on the menu over 18 dollars and most things were around 12 bucks. Can't beat that. Try the penne with vodka sauce and the caesar salad, its superb. A nice change for a ritzy area.