“Excellent ambiance and atmosphere!”
Review of Bix

Bix
Reserve with OpenTable
Bix is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #177 of 5,693 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Jackson & Pacific
Transit: Muni bus: #41 Union
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent ambiance and atmosphere!”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Based on reviews, I booked a reservation well in advance for my wife's 30th birthday. It was our first time here, and they gave us a great table (I called ahead to ask about a good view/table). We had 8pm reservations on a Saturday night. Great decor and atmosphere! The cocktails were delicious (I had their Sidecar and my wife had their Kumquat Daiquiri) - extra touch was when the waiter or bartender would come to your table, shake, then pour the cocktail in front of you into a chilled glass. Ordered the mini lamb burgers and mozzarella skewers (both good) and had the duck breast and lobster spaghetti for main courses. We had just flown in that day from the east coast, so by the time we were done with our meals it felt much later than it was, so no dessert for us. The jazz trio started at 8:30pm and was the perfect addition to the overall experience. I would highly recommend for a date night! Excellent location on the alley (Gold St.).

• Visited April 2013

Los Angeles, California
“Smooth Jazz, Great Decor, Classy with Good Food”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is definately my kind of place! The decor is great, the music starts at 8pm, so anyone dining early needs to know that.
I found the service to be very good. The food is good, and they do have French Champagne by the glass, which is always a plus.

The Mozzarella Skewers and the Lobster Spaghetti are delicious.

• Visited February 2013
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful food in a classic atmosphere.”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I went here for a late night dinner after flying into San Francisco from the east coast. It is situated on a small alley, but it is worth seeking out.

I was immediately seated at the bar when I walked in.

The ambience is bustling and crowded, but efficient and friendly. The servers all wear white mess coats with black tie, which is a classy, old-school look that I really like.

I started with the "California Asparagus Soup with Meyer lemon crème fraîche", which was lovely. It was not a cream based soup. I believe it was made with a vegetable stock. The consistency was velvety smooth, without even a hint of solids remaining. The crème fraîche provided a nice, clean tart counterbalance to the subtlety of the soup.

For my main course, I had the Berkshire Pork Chop, which normally comes with Italian butter beans and broccoli. The bartender was kind enough to substitute extra broccoli for the beans, which I can't eat due to dietary restrictions. The bone in pork chop was outstanding in every way. I was told that they brine the entire loin, then roast it, then cut it and pan sear the individual chops to order. It was beautifully seared on the outside, and still pink and juicy in the middle. I unashamedly picked up the rib bone and picked it clean.

At the bartender's suggestion, I enjoyed a glass of 2008 Maranet Syrah from the Russian River Valley, which worked very nicely with both the soup and the chop.

I think there was live music in the background, too, which was nice.

I had an outstanding experience at Bix and would absolutely eat here again.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank ARWhite
Pennsylvania
“Amazing!!!!!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

From the minute we walked in, we loved it. Blake, the host was terrific. We had no res... So sat at the bar, which was perfect. Brad, the bartender was very attentive, funny and nice... We had a great vantage point for the wonderful music. We ordered the AMAZING lamb mini burgers twice... Asparagus soup, butter lettuce salad, potato pillows and great martinis. It was the perfect way to end our trip. We will certainly be back!!!!!

1 Thank Fordham92
Everett
“Classy Dining”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a great meal at Bix recently. We should have made a reservation earlier than we did for this popular restaurant on a Wednesday. We went early and were seated quickly. The wait staff seemed to be everywhere attending to all customers. Somehow we waited longer than usual to receive our main entree after receiving our appetizer quickly. That was surprising when we realized that our table was wanted before we were ready to leave. The food was great! The menu had good variety. Afterward a short walk to The Ferry Terminal gave us a fine view of the new lights on the Oakland Bridge.

• Visited March 2013