“Too rushed to be enjoyed”

Alfred's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Alfred's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #702 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Kearny
Transit: #15 bus #41 bus
Description: Alfred's: an oasis of steak, Scotch, and swank. Shaking up martinis and grilling dry-aged beef over mesquite since 1928, with unassumingly traditional service from a veteran staff.
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Advertisement descriptions for this restaurant use terms such as “Alfred’s ambiance radiates with the feel of true fine dining … the glow of dazzling chandeliers, starch white linens” and so on. This is all true, but our experience here one Thursday night was marred by being rushed. When booking on the restaurant internet site, we only had the choice of 6pm or 8pm, not the 7-7:30 we wanted; perhaps they were full that night? However, on arrival, there seemed to be many free tables, so at least we were hoping for a leisurely meal. Not so! Our starters arrived before even half-way through our martinis, the garlic bread we'd ordered for with the starters only materialised - after 2 reminders - when we had our main courses (too late), and our main courses arrived just as I was finishing my starter. A distinct lack of coordination and/or communication between the house and the kitchen. The steaks were of course excellent but what a lack of initiative in that the only half-bottle of red wine on the wine list (we were only two and my wife does not drink) was an Italian wine. I love Italian wine, but in a restaurant with the Californian vineyards so close, I was disappointed.
Overall a pleasant evening, but it could so easily - and should - have been memorable.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Alfred's staff was extremely friendly and the food was great. It might be the best steak I've ever had in San Fran!

1  Thank Mick M
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Lovely dining room, terrific aged steaks, yummy Italian dishes as well and some delightful desserts if you have room left!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Had a very nice dinner here this week. This is a classicically atired room. Wood and tufted leather chairs. Very comfortable atmosphere for a formal dinner or classy casual. Very cool display of their dry aging beef at the front of the restaurant. My meal started with a ceasar with the romaine cut with only the middles served. My rib eye was perfectly medium.

Pricing is very reasonable for city dining at this level. I recommend giving it a try if you are hungry for a well prepared steak in a classic steakhouse atmosphere. Compliments to the staff for accomodating our party on a walk in basis on a Wednesday night.

1  Thank Chris K
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We went here to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, which I told them in advance. They did nothing special to acknowledge this. The service was awful, and my husband had to get up and ask the maitre'd for fresh ground pepper on our salads. You would have thought that would have given them a clue to be more attentive. We had to ask for more butter, water and bread. Dirty martini was good as was double vodka rocks. Salads were mediocre, as were our steak entrees (steaks were not cooked properly). When we ordered dessert, they didn't acknowledge our anniversary. Also didn't ask if we wanted coffee.

What REALLY irked us was the 17% automatic service fee they charge for the privilege of letting us sit on their naughahide booths and using their plates and eating utensils. Oh, yes, they do give the staff 40-50% of the 17%...how generous of them. We didn't feel the service was worth 17%, so my husband left only 10% which posed a problem for the snotty maitre'd who informed my husband that they would change the amount on the bill that he had already signed and submit it to our credit card company for payment. Needless to say we will contest the charge. So, they won the battle, but lost the war.

As a native San Franciscan I will NEVER set foot in that establishment again, not will I EVER recommend it to anyone. My Mother's family owned Alfred's in the late 1930's and early 1940's when they entertained famous opera stars like Enrico Caruso, and I can guarantee you that they would have never treated customers the way we were treated last Thursday night. As far as I am concerned, Alfred's should shut their doors and never open them again.

3  Thank glogig