“classic San Francisco for steak and Italian food”

Alfred's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Alfred's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #468 of 5,711 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Kearny
Transit: #15 bus #41 bus
Description: Alfred's: an oasis of steak, Scotch, and swank. Shaking up martinis and grilling dry-aged beef over mesquite since 1928, with unassumingly traditional service from a veteran staff.
San Francisco, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“classic San Francisco for steak and Italian food”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Lovely dining room, terrific aged steaks, yummy Italian dishes as well and some delightful desserts if you have room left!

Visited January 2014

Sugar Land, Texas
“Classic steakhouse”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Had a very nice dinner here this week. This is a classicically atired room. Wood and tufted leather chairs. Very comfortable atmosphere for a formal dinner or classy casual. Very cool display of their dry aging beef at the front of the restaurant. My meal started with a ceasar with the romaine cut with only the middles served. My rib eye was perfectly medium.

Pricing is very reasonable for city dining at this level. I recommend giving it a try if you are hungry for a well prepared steak in a classic steakhouse atmosphere. Compliments to the staff for accomodating our party on a walk in basis on a Wednesday night.

1 Thank Chris K
San Francisco, CA
“Not even close to what it used to be.”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We went here to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, which I told them in advance. They did nothing special to acknowledge this. The service was awful, and my husband had to get up and ask the maitre'd for fresh ground pepper on our salads. You would have thought that would have given them a clue to be more attentive. We had to ask for more butter, water and bread. Dirty martini was good as was double vodka rocks. Salads were mediocre, as were our steak entrees (steaks were not cooked properly). When we ordered dessert, they didn't acknowledge our anniversary. Also didn't ask if we wanted coffee.

What REALLY irked us was the 17% automatic service fee they charge for the privilege of letting us sit on their naughahide booths and using their plates and eating utensils. Oh, yes, they do give the staff 40-50% of the 17%...how generous of them. We didn't feel the service was worth 17%, so my husband left only 10% which posed a problem for the snotty maitre'd who informed my husband that they would change the amount on the bill that he had already signed and submit it to our credit card company for payment. Needless to say we will contest the charge. So, they won the battle, but lost the war.

As a native San Franciscan I will NEVER set foot in that establishment again, not will I EVER recommend it to anyone. My Mother's family owned Alfred's in the late 1930's and early 1940's when they entertained famous opera stars like Enrico Caruso, and I can guarantee you that they would have never treated customers the way we were treated last Thursday night. As far as I am concerned, Alfred's should shut their doors and never open them again.

3 Thank glogig
phoenix
“Good restaurant! Make sure your steak is cooked to your specific order”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Had an enjoyable dinner at Alfreds; long time steak house in the financial district. My associate was not specifically happy with how his steak was cooked, but he did not speak up to share his concern until we were outside the restaurant. No issues, with mine. I would certainly visit again. Attentive staff, too.

Visited February 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
“Alfred's - Old School, but Old”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

As we often stay at the Hilton Financial District, we had received many recs. for Alfred's, just across the street. Usually, we were only there on Sunday & Monday, but had a little move in schedules, so took advantage of that off-set in days. We booked Alfred's, and were looking forward to the experience.

First, we are not traditional "steakhouse fans," so that needs to be taken into consideration. However, we do love great beef, and are flexible in our dining, with few aversions.

Alfred's is "old school," in the line up of steakhouses. It looks it, and smells it. Now, they did have a ceiling leak, so that might have been a bit off-putting, on our first experience. Some refurbishment going on, and some "clean up" in progress. I'll overlook that for now.

The menu has little excitement, but with a "full-blown steakhouse," who expects excitement, or innovation. They expect great steak, with traditional sides, and little else.

First, the wine list is nothing to get excited about - mostly "the usual suspects," with not that much thought. Still, one can work with it, providing they do not want any sort of new wine experience.

The salads, and apps. are pretty much what one would expect anywhere, but then, for the price, should expect something in return, beyond calories. That was not the case at Alfred's - same old - same old, and done by the numbers.

The steaks (Petite Filets) were OK, but even the Peppercorn Sauce (on the side) could not add any impact. They were both cooked perfectly, but rather bland. To me, it was a "why bother" moment.

The service was very good, and extremely friendly, but not too familiar - just right. Too bad that the food did not live up to that service. The staff received a nice tip, and deserved it - the kitchen? Well, not so much.

IMHO, there are better steakhouses, such as Alexander's, though it has less history. At the end of the meal, the history could not carry the evening.

I highly doubt that we will return, even with the refurbishments. There are just too many great restaurants in San Francisco, and only so many nights of dining.

2 Thank The_Loup_Garou