“Outstanding food”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Union
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was our first time to try Afghani food, and we were not disappointed. The food was fantastic, including the vegetarian dishes. Every course was very good, from appetizer to dessert. The layout of the restaurant is also nice, and it was very quiet. Definitely a place to try when in SF.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Helmand Palace serves delicious Afghani food! Anytime I am in the neighborhood, I try to eat there...and if I am simply driving through, I call in an order to take home. I can not resist ordering the kaddo, baked pumpkin dish topped with a garlic yogurt and a meat sauce (a vegetarian option is also available and equally tasty!). Kaddo is presently at the top of my list of favorite dishes in the world...both sweet and savory. Kourma Challow is another one of our favorites. I'm not generally a huge fan of lamb, but this dish is amazing! The seasoning is perfection. Every other dish we've had there (about half the menu) has never disappointed! The prices are reasonable and the portions are nice sized.

While the immediate entry way is not the most inviting, the people who work there are warm and attentive. The staff is always ready with suggestions and eager to help make your night special.

The neighborhood is safe, though street parking can be a bit challenging. If you want to continue your night out with a nightcap, several bars are within walking distance (Polk Street is just one block away and loaded with bars).

Reviewed December 31, 2012

For a change of pace, my 20-something daughter and I visited this Afghan restaurant, a half-dozen blocks south of Fort Mason. While the Bowlawn appetizer was good, the entrees were especially delicious. I definitely recommend the deygee kabob, steamed lamb sauted with vegetables, served with pumpkin and spinach rice. Very tasty!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We visited Helmand on Christmas Eve, and the place was very crowded. We still got fairly good service, and all our dishes were delicious. The chair I was sitting on had something sharp sticking into my backside, so I swapped with another chair, and it was very uncomfortable, too. Our dining party had an elderly man who had a hard time getting up the stairs to the "upper" area (about 4 steps up), and the tables were very crowded and difficult for someone of limited mobility to navigate.
My suggestion is bring a cushion to sit on, don't bring elderly people, but get ready to enjoy some really unique and good-tasting food. The bill for 4 adults and 2 kids was about $140 including a carafe of wine, which I thought was a good value.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I loved the food here. Everything we ordered was absolutely delicious. The waiter was so pleasant and friendly. The decor was beautiful and interesting - full of prints, art work, etc. from Afghanistan. The music also was Afghani and was very soothing. The value is amazing ... compared to other restaurants, it seemed inexpensive ($60 for the 2 of us). I have no complaints. We were in San Francisco for 10 days, ate in many restaurants, and this was hands-down my favorite.