“I ate because I was hungry. ”
Review of Helmand Palace

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Union
Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

The service was poor. My cousin ordered a glass of wine and it didn't come. A half hour later they asked if she still wanted it, but we were finished by then. We ordered vegetarian items on the menu. I only ate because I was starving. It was not appetizing at all...though that could be because it was my first encounter with Afghan food.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

We had a very nice meal here. My wife had two appetizers--the aushak (a ravioli-type dish) and Kaddo (pumpkin). The latter was a little too sweet for me but both were delicious. I had the entree of sabzi challow, which is spinach sautéed with chunks of lamb. I thought the challow did not have enough flavor, but one is provided with three seasonings on the side which I used to season it to my taste. Service was good. It was too bad a restaurant of that quality was so sparse with diners on a Sat. night.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

We were walking around the city (very hungry, I might add) when we came across Helmand-- a small restaurant in a nicely decorated San Francisco rowhouse. Having worked in Afghanistan, I can say that the food is authentic and well-prepared. The pumpkin dish called Kaddo was to die for. I'm so happy we came across this place and will be back the next time I'm in the city.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I have been eating at Helmand Palace since the old days when it was on a seedy block of Broadway, surrounded by strip clubs. Honestly, I'd eat Helmand's food if it was served in a garbage dump- it's just that good!!! Truly unique, it is hard to compare to any other cuisine. You just have to try it for yourself. Savory, spicy, and a little sweet, with a good vegetarian selection to boot! And you won't get a better bang for the buck anywhere in SF. If you want a delicious, quiet, memorable meal, go to Helmand Palace!

Reviewed May 23, 2012

We were wandering the streets near our hotel (after passing by something we had been told was good but we found depressing) and found this delightful little gem. The menu selections are not too far afield from what Americans (or south Asians) would be comfortable with, nicely prepared and well presented. We found service was very polite, pleasant and attentive. We were also pleased that there was a nice selection of beer and wine. Reasonable prices. very good value. We would even suggest a trip across town to come here if you are not close by.