“Great Find- Fresh Afghan Food in the heart of San Francisco”
Review of Helmand Palace

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Union
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We were walking around the city (very hungry, I might add) when we came across Helmand-- a small restaurant in a nicely decorated San Francisco rowhouse. Having worked in Afghanistan, I can say that the food is authentic and well-prepared. The pumpkin dish called Kaddo was to die for. I'm so happy we came across this place and will be back the next time I'm in the city.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I have been eating at Helmand Palace since the old days when it was on a seedy block of Broadway, surrounded by strip clubs. Honestly, I'd eat Helmand's food if it was served in a garbage dump- it's just that good!!! Truly unique, it is hard to compare to any other cuisine. You just have to try it for yourself. Savory, spicy, and a little sweet, with a good vegetarian selection to boot! And you won't get a better bang for the buck anywhere in SF. If you want a delicious, quiet, memorable meal, go to Helmand Palace!

Reviewed May 23, 2012

We were wandering the streets near our hotel (after passing by something we had been told was good but we found depressing) and found this delightful little gem. The menu selections are not too far afield from what Americans (or south Asians) would be comfortable with, nicely prepared and well presented. We found service was very polite, pleasant and attentive. We were also pleased that there was a nice selection of beer and wine. Reasonable prices. very good value. We would even suggest a trip across town to come here if you are not close by.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

My partner and I had been recommended this place by a relative, and we were quite excited, never having had Afghan food before.
The staff was polite enough though service was not as attentive as it could have been, and it seemed as though they were basing the quality of their service on the look of the customers/expected tip. Did not appreciate the smirky smiles.
The decor was fun, in a sort of dated way, but we enjoyed that. There were paintings representing scenes from India, which did make it look as though they had recycled the decor from previous owners.
The menu was not unfamiliar to us. As it seemed to encompass Lebanese, Iranian and Indian food, we felt that we could choose discerningly, having experienced them all before.
My aubergine starter was delicious and simple. I liked the acidic balance and it was nice to have bread to soak it all up. My partner enjoyed his daal-style starter too.
For mains I had a lamb stew. The meat was not too fatty and it was properly cooked (as in, not too much but not too little either). However I was disappointed with the vegetables which seemed to me to be of the frozen variety... At least they tasted like they were. The carrots were tasteless and I am glad pickles were included.
We thought we'd take a little rest and have a look at the dessert menu, but the waiter must have thought that we didn't look like we needed it (eeks!) As he brought us the check within a few minutes of clearing the plates.
Overall the meal was fine, but there are other places in SF I'd recommend before this one.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

I Love this place! The food is excellent & the staff is so friendly & warm. Everyone I take here is impressed.