“Always eat here when in San Francisco!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tadich Grill
Ranked #33 of 5,626 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Financial District
California
“Always eat here when in San Francisco!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

ONe of my favorite restaurants in the world. Why? Hard to explain, but this is an SF landmark, and exudes old San Francisco charm and character. Reservations are not excepted, so get there early or be prepared to wait. I always try to sit at the counter, which gets me into fascinating conversations with fellow diners and the waiters behind the bar. Drinks are priced reasonably. Yes, food is expensive, but very good. Sourdough bread is legendary. Cioppino is always well received. This trip I had the seafood saute, which was excellent. Are there "better" restaurants in SF? Well, maybe more frills and fancier presentations and bay views. But for pure SF neighborhood bar/restaurant ambiance, cannot be beat.
Generally not a tourist stop. So, mostly crowded on weekdays, lunch and dinner, form nearby offices. We had dinner on Saturday about 6:30, were seated immediately at the counter. There was a wait for tables. California Street cable car stops at the corner, a few doors away.

1 Thank CaliforniaBillJ

• Korean first
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
“Excellent Experience with Food To Match”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

So I asked my local host to take me for great seafood. When in Frisco you can immediately think of the Wharf but as we were meeting in the Financial District he took me here. I loved the old world style wood bar with waiters dressed in the classic restaurant style. We began with Oysters Rockefeller that were huge and tasty. Having moved to the Midwest a couple of years ago I miss good lobster so I took advantage of the the lobster tail availability, It did not disappoint. Nothing was disappointing and clearly iconic spots like this have a tough time living up to their reputations but I will say it was a great experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

1 Thank Steve S
Bushland, Tx
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

My family and I had dinner here while in town food was good a bit over priced but we sure didn't leave hungry. I would probably eat here again but I didn't leave craving the place. Had the Lobster Thermador and Ciopino both good but lacked that flavor that sticks out.

Prague, Czech Republic
“Food is nothing special, there are better restaurants in S.F.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

I think this place just profits from its location and reputation, it is a bit of an institution in S.F. and has been around for ever (couple centuries I think). It has a great atmosphere and service, but the food did nothing for us - I went with my family and we all sampled everybody else's dish - it's heavy, greasy, too salty and uninventive. Portions are too big as well, I would have preferred smaller meals with higher quality preparation. I ordered a tuna steak, the fish itself was very nice but came swimming in soy sauce, why?! It was way too salty. The side dish was a mountain of romaine lettuce drenched in thousand island dressing, yuck! My kids had steaks (which were good) with the worst tasting potatoes ever. We come to S.F. every summer and have gotten to know many restaurants here. You can get some amazing food in this city, there are so many great places to eat. Sadly, Tadich Grill is not one of them.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles
“Good, but not quite to expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

Yes, this is an iconic place and it rightfully has a following. They have a formula and it's worked for a number of years. Portion size was quite good. Was a bit disappointed by the Sole, which is supposed to be a signature dish.

Visited May 2014