“Classic, old-time San Francisco”
Review of Tadich Grill

Tadich Grill
Ranked #26 of 5,866 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Financial District
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Tadich Grill is a beautiful old grill with banquettes and wait staff that know how to provide good service. The food, particularly the seafood, is superb and unpretentious. The best halibut I've ever had, excellent choppino, good breads, excellent wine list with lots of good but reasonably priced wines. I usually prefer a table but eating at the bar is wonderful too. There used to be many restaurants like Tadich Grill in most American cities like Musso and Franks in Los Angeles. There aren't many left and none I've come across with the classic matter-of-factness of "yes, we have served wonderful food for 160 years, so of course you will have a wonderful meal today" that Tadich has.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,814)

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We arrived around 8:30 pm and waited for a table for about 30 minutes at the bar. The place is crowded and the all male waiters are bustling about. The closing time is 9:30 and around 9:00 while sitting at the bar, I noticed that a few of the waiters kept looking at the clock. I was hoping one of them would not be our waiter, but it turned out that indeed, it happened. We received attention immediately with bread and butter which was nice. (Why is chilled cold hard butter served with the bread which makes it difficult to spread.....other restaurants think about that and serve easy to spread butter with bread) My husband ordered the Cioppino but I wasn't sure as I was looking over the menu...the waiter told me the kitchen was closing so I needed to make a decision right then, so I did. The shrimp in a cream sauce was very good, but I just was a bit put off by the feeling of being rushed. Sooooo, if you choose to go, be ready for a wait in a busy place and I recommend to arrive early so you will not feel rushed.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Fantastic ORIGINAL restaurant in SF. Place maintains original charm with a long narrow wood bar and servers behind in starched white coats. They're a bit matter of fact at the start, but sit at the bar and settle in with a drink. The staff really open up after that, talking of the restaurant's past and the history of the city. Food was excellent! There are plenty of options but go seafood al the way! My favorite place from our recent trip! Definitely would return.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

This place is a slice of old school America and is like nowhere I've ever been. We walked in and was greeted by a man dressed in a white coat, he ushered us down the bar where two seats were available. Sitting at the bar is like having a cabaret show whilst you eat. The servers enjoy their work and are so busy that it's actually entertaining to watch them work! We ordered the Clam Chowder to start, followed by the Black Angus New York Strip Steak. The chowder was thick, hearty and full of flavour. The sourdough bread accompanied it perfectly. The New York Strip was a huge piece of meat, but the chef had cooked it to perfection. Fries and vegetables came with the meal so there was no need to order expensive sides. I just wish I had saved some room for dessert!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

This restaurant has been excellent for years. White coated waiters, cold cocktails, large portions of traditional American food, delicious sourdough bread. Fish dishes are the best. Wine list - amazing. The Cioppino is the best ever. One is never rushed here, one is treated like an old friend. I have been dining here for years and have never had anything less than a fantastic meal.