“The tradition continues”

Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Financial District
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My first time there was at age 15...60 years ago. I just had my most recent visit. I had the Charcoal Grilled Petrale Sole filet which easily covered 2/3 of the plate. I intended to have it saute'd but our experienced and knowledgeable waiter said, "Trust me, you'll love it charcoal grilled." He was so right. It was probably the best fish dinner I've ever had. Maybe his being there for 16 years makes a diffrence. Petrale sole is a fantastic regional fish and is a specialty at Tadich Grill. This tops it all. To those who object to the crowds, noise and brusk waiters, I say, "Get a life." This has been happily going on since 1848. Just like putting on your most comfortable shoes. Prices are no more than other San Francisco restaurants and you get bragging rights ar being at the oldest restaurant in California. Of equal importance is the sour dough bread which is different and much better than anywhere else. Its what I remember growing up with as a boy. Rougher texture and decently sour. Easy to eat an entire loaf by yourself. Valet parking is reasonable at $10.00 and since this was a Friday at 6:00 PM ,heaven sent. Our party of four was seated immediately at the front window table and had a fantanstic experience. If I could I'd rate it six dots, I would. San Francisco has changed a lot over the years but I thank my lucky stars for Tadich Grill remaining true to itself. Don't miss out!

2  Thank Happytraveler97531
Write a ReviewReviews (1,772)

Reviewed August 17, 2013

After seeing review of this place we really wanted to go...after seeing the line outside on a Saturday night, we decided not to. However, we made back on Monday night, saw a shorter line and ate one of our favorite meals of the trip. We put our name in for a table, but ended up sitting at the counter (it's first come, first serve). We had amazing service there, had enough privacy to enjoy each other, and had a chance to speak with those on both sides of us. Each had each been coming to the place for 35+ years. One guy came weekly! Each had their favorites -and the waiter was helpful as well in making recommendations. It's a place that has a rich history, and takes you back in time. The seafood was amazing and the atmosphere really neat. I highly recommend this place!!

1  Thank Reagan829
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I love this place and visit it every time I'm in San Francisco. They have an amazing seafood menu and everything I have tried has been excellent. The staff is great too. I would highly recommend you visit the Tadich Grill!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Our hotel recommended this restaurant after my teenage daughter said she wanted seafood that was close. What a treat! Small but fantastic ambiance. Host/bartenders/waiters in white dinner jackets. Very friendly. And the seafood was amazing. It was so comfortable that my daughter opened up and we had a wonderful conversation that reminded me why I love her so much. I wouldn't take younger children here but for older children who enjoy great food and a sophisticated atmosphere, it is lovely. Host even remembered her name and as we left, he asked how we liked the food. She smiled and confirmed that it was "amazing". Can't find enough good words for this local gem.

1  Thank dwisbeck
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Remember when waiters were there to serve you and the point of a restaurant was to provide fresh food that was well prepared? This is a place that hasn't forgotten that. No pretention, just good food. I was put off by the dirty fork I got, but the service was otherwise top notch. The room is loud but in a vibrant way.