“Great restaurant”

Neighborhood: Financial District
Atlanta, GA
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I concur with others' comments: old school, great atmosphere, long wait (30 to 60 minutes on a weekday) but the food is worth it. We plan to visit it every time we go to San Francisco!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank GrantL

• Korean first
Northampton, Massachusetts
“A one of a kind restaurant - always fun, always busy, always loud, and always good”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Tadich Grill is that unique blend of restaurant that caters to locals and tourists equally well. We visit San Francisco about every five years, and always make it a point to eat here. You can see from all the other reviews the usually cautionary notes - no reservations, potentially long waits, etc. Just go prepared to have a cocktail, people watch, banter with the barenders, and enjoy dining history in this very unique, very San Franciscan dining spot.

We arrived at 7pm on a Friday with our friends, put our names in, were told that it would be 30 minutes or so, couldn't get the attention of a bartender for five minutes, then did and grabbed a pair of seats at about the same time. These guys, like at all the great places, work the bar hard and will make you whatever you like any way you like it. Two of us ordered Old Fashioneds, and even with all the noise in the place the bartender could hear us commenting on what we liked and didn't like about the way he made the drinks. No one was annoyed or put off; in fact it led to a spirited discussion of different ways to make and different alcohol to use in an Old Fashioned. All fun stuff.

No modern stuff here...meaning, for example, no flashing, buzzing pagers. When your table is ready, the head bartender just bellows out your name, and I mean bellows (that's why I gave him my wife's name!).

Dinner was excellent, as anticipated. My wife had the Cioppino as she always does. One friend had crab cakes and the other shrimp and scallops. I had the Petrale Sole. All four dinners were outstanding. We had skipped the wine as we all had a second cocktail instead, and skipped desert too as we were headed elsewhere to finish up the evening.

Not cheap, but not over the top expensive, either. Good value, a fun experience, and as good seafood (many old fashioned recipes) as you'll find anywhere in the city.

• Visited January 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“The best cioppino you will ever have”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I love cioppino but up to now have been convinced that mine is better than that served at any restaurant. I discovered I was wrong when I ordered cioppino at the Tadich Grill. It is full of seafood and has an amazing tomato base and simply can't be beat. I also loved the ambiance of the restaurant. It has semi private booths along the wall, and I want to go back when they aren't so busy and sit in one of those cozy spots. My waiter was attentive but not obtrusive. I loved that I also could order a martini and had time to enjoy it before my food came. I hate to order a drink in a restaurant have my food come while I am still enjoying my martini. This restaurant is one of the few that knows one should enjoy one's cocktail before the meal is served. I love this restaurant and you should definitely visit.

• Visited January 2013
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Best Cioppino in Town”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Oldest San Francisco restaurant and best cioppino in town served by waiters who have attitudes. The room is busy and noisy but the atmosphere is totally San Francisco with tall ceilings and cozy booths. The bar scene is busy and there is always a wait, even in the late afternoon.

Visited January 2013
Richvale, California
“Another favorite”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is another favorite restaurant of ours in the City. It's in the financial district and we take a cab from our hotel at Fisherman's Wharf. There is quite a long wait and you have to stand in line for up to 45 minutes or more. But the plus is you get to meet new people, the food is great, and the service is excellent. Love their menu. And their history. It reminds me of my family history.

Visited December 2012