“Terrible dining”

Neighborhood: Financial District
Scotland
“Terrible dining”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Visited Tadich last night, another San Franciscan restaurant that doesn't accept reservations.

Well, I have several reservations about this restaurant.

The food - 1 out of 10

My lentil soup was simply awful and I could only manage 2 spoonfuls. A think, glutinous porridge of a soup.

My pecant sole dish was also embarrassingly bad. No taste whatsover and initially undercooked. Complemented with diced vegetables so big it reminded me of eating at a school refectory. My friend's order they got wrong completely and then had to wait 15 mins to be served the prawns they did order and which were overcooked, almost charred.

Service - 1 out of 10

So lacking in charm or basic courtesy I was astounded.

Ambience - 5 out of 10

We were sat at a booth which provided good privacy but meant there was little atmosphere or connection with other diners.

In summary, my experience here was simply very poor. I may have been just unlucky on the night but in my opinion this restaurant relies very heavily on its local reputation to entice customers.

• Visited November 2012
10 Thank ellysian

• Korean first
Northern Wisconsin
“Good food, fun history, great service.”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Wait staff in European style, take your order without notes, and get it right. Excellent steak and seafood, large bar, and crowded with lines out the door at peak times. No reservations, but well worth a wait. Interesting history involving early 20th century SF characters, although this is not the original restaurant.

• Visited August 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
“Rude Service - Bland Food”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Went to Tadich with my wife based on all the great reviews on TA. We waited on he wall for about 15 minutes before two seats at the bar opened up. It was the worst meal I had in SF, strike that, worst meal in my life. Our server "Barry" was cold and rude, acted like serving us was something he had to endure. It felt like we were treated this way because we were tourists. I saw our server act friendly to another couple sitting t the bar but he totally changed his demeanor when he came back to us. Honestly I could care less about his attitude if only the food had been good. We had the crab cake and calamari appetizer. Both had no flavor at all and the calamari was over-breaded. We should have left after the disappointing starters. I ordered a grilled ribeye and my wife ordered a pasta with "Caribbean shrimp and scallops in cream sauce." Both dishes were disappointing. My steak was paper thin and had no flavor at all. I have two words for Tadich. 1. Salt. 2. Pepper. The steak fries ere dry. The bet thing on my plate was the asparagus. My wife's pasta also had no flavor at all. Come on Tadich, try using some garlic or herbs or spices. It had tiny bay shrimp and baby scallops which also had no flavor and the cream sauce was just plain cream with no kick. I can cook better food in my kitchen at home. We paid the $93 bill, tipped only ten percent for the terrible food and rude service. I usually tip twenty percent or above but couldn't make myself do it here. I wanted to love this place but I really ended up hating it. From reading other bad TA reviews it seems that tourists get treated like crap. Why? They have money to spend. I work in the service industry in a big tourist city and would never treat people so badly. And how can a landmark like Tadich get away with serving such horrible food? Maybe I should have had the Cioppino. Maybe some of their food is excellent. Maybe some of the servers are polite. But I'll never know cause I'll never return. Maybe that's what they wanted.

• Visited November 2012
6 Thank James R
Palma
“Real San Francisco”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Very lively, with long bar , no booking just wait. Crab and prawn starter were a bit tasteless but the halibut was very well grilled and tasty and massive ., good fun, buzzy $60 inc wine and beer

Visited November 2012
Dallas, TX
“HUGE Disappointment”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I had been to Tadich Grill several years ago while visiting San Francisco. I could hardly wait to go back since my first visit was absolutely wonderful. We saved it for our last meal in San Francisco which was a big mistake! I hate ending a vacation with a lousy meal and poor service.
I love the tradition and old diner feel, but everything else had changed. We got to the restaurant early before there was any crowd. There were plenty of tables (and waiters) available, but we waited quite some time to even get a menu.
When the waiter finally came and discovered we would not be ordering any alcohol you could see his demeanor change immediately. We both ordered a cup of chowder and were brought (and paid for) a bowl instead. We both ordered the sole house special and we both were disappointed by how terribly bland it was. The fish was cooked okay, but there was ZERO flavor. The same was true for the potatoes before I covered them with pepper and butter. The vegetables were literally covered in garlic. Basically, the food was either horribly under seasoned or over seasoned (vegetables).
We might have been able to endure this meal if the service had been good, but it was the worst service of any meal we ate on our California vacation! The waiter never once came back to check on us after we were served until I caught another waiter and asked if we could have more butter. Only then did our waiter reappear. I have never given any of my reviews on Trip Advisor just one "star", but I have to say I can't find any reason at all to give Tadich Grill more than that!

• Visited October 2012