“Great Food, Fun Place!”
Review of Town Hall

Town Hall
Reserve with OpenTable
Town Hall is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #658 of 5,825 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Fremont St.
Transit: Muni & BART: Embarcadero station; Muni: 1 California @ Howard, 14 Mission @ Fremont
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We were on a quick trip to San Francisco for business, and my husband had eaten here before and liked it. The question is: what's not to like? The service was friendly, the atmosphere is fun, and the food was great. We started with an appetizer of oysters on the shell. Delicious! Not in the slightest bit fishy or oystery. For appetizers, we each tried something completely different. I went with a lighter choice, which was the grilled peach and plum salad. This was, in fact, very light but very tasty. It had a bit of something called pistachio brittle, which added just a little bit of sweet crunch to the salad. My husband had the not so light wam ham and cheese toast, with a poached egg and jalepeno cream. This appetizer could easily be an entire meal for itself, or it could be shared between four people. It was warm and creamy, with great flavors. In an effort not to ruin his entree, he deliberately avoided eating the whole thing, even though it was tempting. For our entrees, I ordered the thing that I had seen on the website, which looked amazing - the fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy. Like the ham and cheese on toast, this was a flavorful, creamy, and heavy dish that you just want to keep eating after you're more than full. It came with a kind of corn salad that was also very good. My husband had the halibut, which was pan-seared with some vegetables, a considerably healthier choice than mine. But while it was healthier, it was not any less delicious. We ended up being so full by the end of our meal that we coudln't even think about any dessert. This was a really fun time at a great restaurant with great food!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Out of town friends made the reservation for our girlie week end and it worked very well, something tasty to please everyone....enjoyed the seafood stew and oysters! Our only complaint was the noise level at times extremely loud which made our conversation difficult. Otherwise good service and the manager left his dinner to help us flag down a taxi...very kind!

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Came here for lunch on Friday as my friend works nearby.

We sat in the patio area and both of us ordered the linguine and I also had the seafood corn chowder. The food was delicious all the way around. No complaints. Pasta was cooked perfectly and the portion size was just right for lunch.

I will have to come back to try dinner.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

nice space, yet a bit crowded. noise level almost to the point of inhibiting conversation. that being said, nice small menu, with excellent choices for all. service is quite good, and very efficient. recommendations were all spot on. fried chicken (really in San Francisco!) is not to be missed.

1  Thank trvlalot312
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We went to Town Hall and although I will go back my review is somewhat mixed.

On the negative side, I am not at all sure how to take the maître d' who looked at me and my girl when we entered as if we had clearly come into the wrong restaurant. She was awkward in asking if we wanted to be seated ahead of our other guests and I could tell she knew that she had made a bad first impression. I think she needs to decide whether she wants to try out to be a runway model or maître d'. The restaurant is a bit loud for my liking, the main dishes are unnecessarily overpriced by about three dollars each and I did not care for the way the broccoli was seasoned.

On the positive side the décor of the restaurant is terrific and I highly recommend the crispy okra, apricot soup, fried chicken, and the smoked St. Louis ribs. The biscuits are superb and you will not leave hungry because the portions are huge.