“mmmmmm....”
Review of Kokkari Estiatorio

Kokkari Estiatorio
Reserve with OpenTable
Kokkari Estiatorio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 5,775 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Front St.
Reviewed August 28, 2010

i really love this restaurant, from the location (away from the noisey tourist zones) to the food and service. we had reservations and were promptly seated..however it was right next to the servers station. we asked to be relocated and were offered another table choice immediately. our waiter Chris was very helpful with ordering...we saw something that liked really good when we were changing tables and sent Chris to find out the order.and he was happy to do that. we ordered several starters and then shared the goat stew. all very tastey...it was my birthday and was giving dessert comped. the berry pudding..omg!!! mmmm. i will be back

There are newer reviews for Kokkari Estiatorio

Reviewed August 8, 2010

We enjoyed our meal here and I expected to as I was recommended by a regular customer who lives in San Fran.
I felt that the waitress, Amelia I think, whilst very professional, was too frosty. She oozed barely concealed disdain, especially at my indecisive family and rambunctious teenage son. Its so nice to have a pleasant server who indulges in a little bit of interaction.
We left this waitress 15% tip for her decent service, filling up glasses etc and because she attempted to warm up at the end of the meal, but really, she made me feel anxious and should have received less. She corrected my son's pronunciation of Dulche de Leche, twice, which was rather sad, especially since he is trilingual and has attended exclusive international schools in different countries all his life. We allowed her this small attempt to boost her image but had a wry smile after. I always try to avoid inadvertently correcting others.
Another criticism was that food arrived so speedily that there was no time to wait between appetizers and mains. Hence, when I rose to go to the bathroom my main just arrived. Its quite a long way to the restroom so although the server kept it warm (I thought this was good service) it detracted from the point of eating freshly cooked fish. Also my husband found his octopus too charred and there was no time to have it redone, it would have arrived after the main, so he cancelled this course. Shame, he was looking forward to trying it. As it is the main appetizer he orders in Italy I think he knows when it is over cooked.
My daughter loved the zucchini cakes but a big criticism that I have of the States is that they are not prepared to be flexible in high end restaurants and cook something for a younger eater who is a little picky, especially since my daughter suffers from dyspepsia. In Italy a plain fillet, chicken or whatever is willingly prepared and I am sure it would be the same in Greece. We ordered her the lemon and chicken soup but it was too flavored so again, she went hungry at dinner. In desperation we asked for plain rice which they rather pettily charged us $6 for. We always tentatively ask in restaurants about doing something plain, and Kokkari is no exception but Amelia only suggested the things on the menu.
Overall, I think this was a good restaurant but as I eat in lovely places all the time, I would go somewhere which a more convivial serving ethos, or I guess I would give it a go and make sure I did not sit in Amelia's section......!
I do not think it was over priced and I do think it was too noisy. Fortunately we sat in a quiet area which I am sure you could request. A very good maitre went to look for a taxi for us and we lost sight of him up the street, I apologise to him as we had to jump in a cab when it presented itself......it was so cold.

Reviewed August 8, 2010

This is absolutely, without question, one of the greatest restaurants we have ever been to. All the food was cooked to perfection, and the staff were professinal and friendly. We will definately be eating here again. As others have stated, try the grilled octopus appetizer, zucchini ckaes and lamb riblets.

Reviewed August 1, 2010

Don't go here expecting the waiters to yell "Opah!" as they light your saganaki on fire. This is a polished greek restaurant with a one-page menu of fine-dining fare. Situated on a quiet street in the Financial District the restaurant's atmosphere is refined and the wine list is long. Yummy greek "cookies" are available for dessert.

Reviewed July 1, 2010

This was one of the better spots on our trip. Service was great, this place has a great energy/vibe about it, and the food is delicious. I highly recommend the grilled octopus as an appetizer. It is simple and delicious...the way good food should be. I had the lamb shank, which was very good (different, lots of cinnamon seasoning), and my wife had the special sea bass dish that night....also very good. The stand out for us was a berry desert that had been soaked in a rum, then chilled. It was really something else. Would recommend this place to anyone....just make sure you make reservations well in advance....this place is hard to get into.