“Greek food worthy of Zeus”
Review of Kokkari Estiatorio

Kokkari Estiatorio
Reserve with OpenTable
Kokkari Estiatorio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 5,776 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Front St.
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Reserved this a few days in advance for a Tuesday night ( because no 1 on Tripadvisor in San Francisco). Arrived to find the restaurant was buzzing with a queue of people waiting to get a table; we were immediately shown to our waiting table. The menu is extensive and interesting, with a high-class take on Greek dining. Fantastic tasting food, somewhat expensive as one might expect. Atmosphere was great, busy and bustling with effortless activity and attentive, expert service as usual for USA. Wine list was fairly expensive also. Wonderful experience in restaurant that is currently top of its game. Recommend if you want a top-end dining experience in SF.

1  Thank GastroDoctor72
There are newer reviews for Kokkari Estiatorio

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

If you're looking for the best food, and the best Greek food in the States you have to go there. It stands up to the expectations and offers special dishes. We had the chicken on the spit and it was better than what we have in Greece. It's Greek cuisine brought to a new level! The stuff is great and the owner amazing. We were given free dessert baklava and kataifi together with plomari ouzo! Will definitely go back when we visit the west coast!!!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I am so damn picky when it comes to food that I am at times scared to enter any restuarant...but I have to say entering Kokkari, I felt I belonged...rustic and modern decor combined with multi-layers of seating areas and a service to die for. The food was so yummy that it is making mouth water now that I am writing about Kokkari. Stick with several plates of the appetizers and share...ask for a lot of bread, a plate of extra virgin olive oil...dont miss the "smelts", "watermelon with Feta and olive oil", the lamb appetizers. They had a whole baby lamb on the spit fire grilling and you can order that as your main dish (NOTthe entire lamb)...keep room for the dessert, trust me - so good you will return always. oh, I almost forgot - try the greek coffee boiled in a special serving piece.

1  Thank nadere051161
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

This is one of my favorite restaurants in the city. Coming from me, this is a huge compliment. I'm Italian, in my late 20's and love good wine and food. This is why Kokkari is idealistic for me. I've tried about everything on the menu and its all amazing. My favorites include: grilled branzino, zucchini cakes, peas and feta, field mushroom raviolis, baked beans and the octopus. The wine list is extensive and offers a great balance in variety and price. If you bring a bottle of wine and purchase one through them they will waive the corkage fee. The
Atmosphere is amazing. Very rustic and warm. There is private wine cave downstairs for larger parties and I believe you only need a $1000.00 minimum, which
is easy to do. Lauren and Lena are both very sweet hostesses who are accommodating and genuine. Management is there to please and offers superb service. I personally would request to sit in the main dining room, as I don't like to be squished by the bar and front door crowd.
All in all a fabulous restaurant. Book far in advance!!!! It's very hard to get a reservation!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Booked on Tripadvisor's recommendation - we had a very pleasant meal in this large, buzzing restaurant. The meal for us was good rather than exceptional - it probably didn't quite live up to the billing, but still a very positive experience. We booked a couple of weeks in advance for our Monday evening visit, and the restaurant seemed to be choc-a-bloc, so I'd think making reservations is pretty essential.

We were staying in Club Quarters, so the restaurant was only a couple of blocks walk away.

Overall, our experience of Kokkari was solidly good, but not nosing ahead of many other good restaurants we visited on our trip.