“Best Greek Food I Have Ever Had (Best Restaurant in SFO)”
Review of Kokkari Estiatorio

Kokkari Estiatorio
Reserve with OpenTable
Kokkari Estiatorio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 5,826 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Front St.
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I initially could not get excited about going out for Greek Food when there are so many options in San Francisco. I always enjoy Greek food at other places but it never dazzles me. I made the reservation at Kokkari based upon reviews but as the evening neared I was not looking forward to my reservation choice.

WOW was I wrong. Both the food and service were amazing. This was the best meal I have ever had in San Francisco and I have hit all of the top restaurants in the bay area.

Matt our waiter was great from the start, very personable, helping us narrow down our food selections (everything on the menu sounded excellent and the entrees being served near us looked even better). With his help we finally narrowed things down.

Appetizers: (All 5 Stars)
Karpouzi me Feta (Watermelon & Feta) - light and refreshing

Kolokithokeftethes (Zucchini Cakes suggested by our waiter) - amazing you must order this and make them pronounce it.

Kalamari (Grilled Calamari - stuffed with feta and fennel) - if you like Grilled Calamari this is a very unique dish

Spanakotriopita (filo Pies) light and buttery filled with feta and leeks etc

Entrees: (All 5 Stars)

Daily Rotisserie- The daily rotisserie for the evening was a goat stew. Having had goat a few times in my life I have always though it to be a rubbery overcooked meat. (like eating an old person). Matt told us it would be tender and juicy at Kokkari. We rolled the dice and ordered it. This was the top entrée of the evening. Succulent tender goat meat served in a flavorful red stew with orzo

Psari Psito Wood-oven roasted california sea bass

Moussaka (which was the best Moussaka I have ever had)

Arnisia Paidakia - lamb chops grilled with a lemon-oregano vinaigrette

Wine:
2010 Andseron Valley Goldeneye Pinot Noir paired well with all the entrees (Suggested by our waiter)

Dessert: (All 5 Stars):

Brandy soaked berry cake special

Yiaourti Granita - Yogurt sorbet with berry granita & mint syrup

I never knew greek food could be so amazing. I almost canceled my Sunday night reservation to come back to Kokkari before leaving the city. The open kitchen, fresh baked breads, unique entrees and wonderful wait staff made this a 5 star experience. There is a reason they are number 1 in SFO right now.
Try it out you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Scubascott1980

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Some would say they are not big fans of Greek food, as was I, until I ate here-- it is fabulous. This was my third visit, but first for a business lunch. The food was terrific again, sole fresh as can be, local, and nicely presented. Peach salad, inventive, perfect for summer, perfect ripeness, which isn't easy. Dessert was marvelous, and even the latte was exceptional. Unfortunately it was too loud for a business lunch, even a casual business lunch. The matre'd inquired after us, during the first course, and agreed it was loud, and very pleasantly we were offered a quieter table in the far back. Frankly, it was still too loud for my tastes, although for a more casual or group gathering, it would be loud but probably acceptable. And it seemed that others were not bothered by the noise level. So maybe I am more sensitive to the current and typical sound levels in restaurants, but would keep this in mind next time looking for a business lunch fine restaurant in the Embarcadero area. Otherwise, this is a top notch, fun, beautiful restaurant, with superb dining and excellent staff.
'

Reviewed July 11, 2013

From the outside, this is such a quiet restaurant that one cannot imagine the ambiance and joviality that is happening inside. The atmosphere is warm, convivial, and fun. But, that's just the beginning. The food is extraordinary, the service is excellent, and the prices are competitive. The lamb skewer was exquisite, as was the ravioli. Outstanding wine list, but somewhat expensive. A great evening, and highly recommended. We would definitely go again.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Excellent from the time we walked in until we left. The sweet corn appetizer was great in taste and texture. The salad, which they split for us, with feta and blue cheese dressing was refreshing. We had the chicken, which was roasted perfectly. Also tried the ribeye steak which was tender and juicy but next time I will try the lamb. The rice pudding for dessert was a great finish to our meal.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

This restaurant is rated # 1 out of 2700 or so restaurants in San Francisco. We found the food delicious and the experience was pleasant. The roasting of two lambs over an open fire pit was a focal point for sure.