“Very good Greek food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kokkari Estiatorio

Kokkari Estiatorio
Reserve with OpenTable
Kokkari Estiatorio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 5,626 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Front St.
Lima, Lima, Peru
“Very good Greek food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I am Greek. Born and raised in Greece, so here goes my appreciation of this dinning experience:
The staff is very friendly, the atmosphere very Greek, but also the temperature a little on the hot side. This is due to the open chimney where they cook the souvla (Barberque of the day). Some booth tables are a little tight. The appetizers are out of this world!! reminded me of my mother´s cooking. The entrees are a little elaborate but well made and the wine list superb!! So, when you are in San Francisco do not miss this great Greek restaurant that will bring the "Greek" out in you.

• Visited July 2013

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
“Kokkari: Greek for Happy Birthday?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is a hard review to write, because while our experience was mostly good, I would never want travelers to think this is the most outstanding restaurant in this awesome city. I have had better tasting food, and honestly, hospitality, at many other places. Our experience seemed like something being filmed for reality TV, and heres why. There was no reservation available when I called a day in advance. A friend was coming to visit last-minute and I really wanted her to try this place with me since she loves Mediterranean food, and all the reviews were so wonderful. The hostess explained that if we showed up around 8, we might possibly be seated around 8:30, bc that's when they take a look at their waiting list. My friend's flight was delayed so we got to Kokkari at 8:45. There were no people waiting in the lobby. We asked the hostess if there might be any available tables. She snickered, looked over her shoulder at a second hostess, and said "I don't know... ARE THERE any available tables" to which the other hostess replied "yes, there are." First hostess goes "take them to table 54!". My friend and I just looked at each other like "for real??" Total soup-nazi-esque. Our walk to the back of the restaurant revealed a very beautiful restaurant, warm, cozy, romantic! We were seated within view of the open kitchen which was cool. Definitely fine since we weren't looking for a romantic, quiet spot. Our server was great, no complaints there. She came right away, gave us space to look over wine list and menu, came right back to check... She was good. But then things became funny again when the first of, I'm not kidding, 5 different birthday songs commenced. I mean, if your birthday was last Sunday, you must have dined at Kokkari. The last guy was plain embarrassed bc by that time, everybody was over it and nobody even clapped or acknowledged it. I mean, we were there 1.5 hours, so no telling how many more birthdays were being celebrated that night there. Anyhow... Appetizers were fine. Not fantastic. A flatbread came out, which we thought was actually going to be some type of dip and pita based on the description. But it was ok. And then the giant beans and feta. Again... It was good but I wouldn't order it a second time. We also ordered a bottle of champagne which turned out to be a half-bottle, I guess we missed the parenthetical 375mL note! No big deal but was expecting a whole bottle @ $88! It was deelish though, and our fault, so fine. The highlight of the entire dinner was the ravioli I ordered. My friend ordered the roasted chicken and it was juicy and flavorful. But once again... Nothing that made us want more. I guess from the rather cold welcome to the misunderstandings on the menu, to the never-ending chorus of "happy birthday to you...." It just wasn't that great a dining experience. I was hoping i would want to return with my hubby, but actually I was glad I hadn't wasted a date night here. Trying Boulavard this week. Here's hoping for better!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
california
“Great Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

This evening 6 of us headed to Kokkari to enjoy a simple, casual, dinner. What we ended up receiving was a marvelous meal with exemplary service (provided by sophisticated and engaging professional named Engin) in a casual, hip, environment. Engin's charm provided the perfect backdrop for the kitchen staff to show off their immense talent. Our multiple starters which included Dolmades, Stuffed Squash Blossoms, Grilled Octopus & Watermelon Salad, tantalized our palates, but our entrees Grilled Lamb Chops, Spring Lamb served 3 ways, Whole Branzino, Mushroom and Cheese Ravioli, etc., put huge smiles on our faces. Engin recommended both the white and red wines which were moderately priced and perfectly complimented our meals. We can't wait to return, but have a lot of exercise to do in preparation!

Davis, California
“Kokkari lives up to its reputation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Kokkari serves upscale Greek inspired food that meets everyone's expectations. We started with Kalamari done to perfection, Octopodaki tou Yiorgou as well as Kolokithokeftethes and Soutzoukakia. All wonderfully prepared. Another reviewer thought the fish was the best they had ever had. On that basis I ordered one of the three fish entrees and indeed it was excellent. A whole fish deboned, splayed and as succulent as I have had. Other had goat stew, a perennial favorite of my friend, and there was the special pig on a spit that was exceptional.
Wine prices were fair and the selection was good. The place is bustling and a tad noisy, but the service is great and the food very good.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Best restaurant on our 4 week honeymoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Last minute recommendation from a friend so we booked for our one 'expensive' meal allowance in each place we visited on our honeymoon. We showed up one hour before our reservation fully expecting to sit at the bar and we where seated 10 minutes later.....great start! The food was incredible and service outstanding! Nice relaxed atmosphere with an open fire all made for a very romantic meal! Without a doubt we would return!

Visited June 2013