“What a gem on Belden Place”
Review of Plouf

Plouf
Reserve with OpenTable
Plouf is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #563 of 5,695 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Bush & Kearny
Marion, Illinois
“What a gem on Belden Place”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My wife and I decided to check out Belden Place since it was a short walk from our hotel. We went for dinner after a day trip to Napa valley wineries. We decided on wine and to share Oysters Rockefeller and then a bucket of steamed mussels and clams. The oysters needed a little more time in the oven, but the steamed combo was to die for! They just kept bringing us bread and we just soaked up all that lovely broth! We tried the profiteroles for dessert and what a choice! Think puff pastry filled with ice cream and covered in chocolate sauce and crushed pistachios. Good service great food and a sidewalk dining experience much like Europe. We had a wonderful experience.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Erik L

So Cal
“Big pot of mussels!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

First time the bosses brought us here for lunch...usually, they don't like to walk more than 3 blocks from the office. Good choice as 5 out of the 7 of us ordered the plouf, some with clams, mine just came with mussels. I had the Provencale one and it was delicious. The mussels were fresh and plump, not teeny tiny like some other mussel dishes I've had at other French restaurants. The place is pretty casual since it's located along what I would describe as a dining alley. As we were walking to the end of the alley, the various restaurant hostesses tried to entice us to dine at their restaurant instead but we already had a reservation at Plouf.

Anyway, our waiter was friendly and had a French accent. Sounded authentic but I haven't been back in France for years so I'm no expert. Along with the mussels, I also got an order of fries to dip in the sauce with. Quite good without the need for ketchup. Of course, I also dipped the bread in it as well. Maybe it's nostalgia but I swear that no matter where I eat French bread in the U.S., none has tasted as good as the cheapest French breads that I had while I was in Paris. Now a few of the mussels did have some sand inside but I think that's normal?

One of my coworkers got the Croque Monsier and the other one got the Fish & Chips...huh? She's not an adventurous eater I guess. The fish looked different than your typical British version of fish & chips but the mayo dip looked good. Fries were fries.

Food came out pretty quickly and service was friendly and efficient. Definitely coming back in the future with the folks. I wasn't sure how many mussels would be in an order but there were a lot...20+, maybe close to 30? so we were all stuffed.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank TravelmoreSoCal
Central Coast
“Great place for mussels”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband knows how much I like mussels and surprised me by taking me to this restaurant. I was in heaven.

We had the house salad which was large enough to split. I had the provencale mussels which were just delicious. I ordered the pommes frites to go with and glad I did. The bread is not as good as I would expect for a French restaurant and that was a bit of a disappointment.

My husband had the sea bass and he would order it again. A good selection of wines by the glass. The Sancerre was really good and it was nice to order this by the glass.

We ordered the poached pears for dessert and were just a little disappointed. Mostly ice cream and whipped cream and the pears weren't poached. But with chocolate sauce on top, it was still delicious.

We would definitely return to this restaurant.

Visited May 2013
“Amazing Mussels!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

This place is tucked away, off the street, in an alleyway with a few other restaurants.

This place is known for mussels, and they delivered. They offer mussels cooked in six different ways. I had the coconut milk. The mussels were fresh and the sauce was awesome. We had calamari as an appetizer. It, too, was tasty.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Nosoda
Hong Kong
“There's more than just great seafood”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Fantastic 'character' restaurant down a small alley in Central San Francisco.
Known for their seafood but several of our party enjoyed meat dishes as well.
Great, attentive service and fabulous desserts (Profiteroles come in a particularly generous portion sizes).
Good value too. A real find.

• Visited April 2013