“Yum! ”
Review of Boulevard

Boulevard
Reserve with OpenTable
Boulevard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Steuart St.
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

We went to this restaurant to kick off our honeymoon and are so happy we did. We got there a bit early before our reservation, so we sat at the bar to have a drink. We chatted with the bar tender who was really friendly and just enjoyed checking out the building itself which was pretty cool. Once we were sat, we met our waiter who was fun, quirky and extremely knowledgable. We picked our food and asked the waiter for his wine pairing suggestions. Everything he brought out from the sparking wine to the dessert wine was absolutely perfect. The food was delicious with the highlight being the pork belly appetizer. So good. We really enjoyed dining here and would go back when in the area again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,632)

Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

The Boulevard is certainly romantic! I actually chose to propose to my girlfriend here the other night and wow what a fantastic decision. The restaurant handled it wonderfully. The server was outstanding and ensured we had our space to celebrate the moment. The food was so good as well, but let's just say we were preoccupied! Kudos to the restaurant for handling the proposal perfectly. We will certainly return!

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Having been a dinner patron many times over the past 20 years, last night's experience will be my last. Our lobster ravioli was truly inedible! Undercooked pasta (tough, tasteless), overcooked small chunks of lobster and then two very strange components ... lentils (grainy and inappropriate flavor) and pieces of cauliflower. Simply awful. BTW the weten't ravioli but was a roll that was cut like a sushi roll. The tiny bit of sauce was good but it couldn't save this terrible $18 appetizer. I didn't even eat the pasta and lentils and the lobster,again, was rubbery and unsatisfying. I told the waiter about the issues and he apologized and said he would take it off the bill. I said that that was not why I was telling him about the problems but rather he should tell the kitchen. We hsd a hard time selecting our entrees because the ingredients of almost all of the offerings were simply not very appetizing. We both ended up ordering boneless lamb chops and when they appeared at the table the were lovely but there were 2 small pieces of nicely cooked lamb that when cut and eaten were riddled with large veins of fat. They tadted delish but the big chunks of fat were unexpected and a negative aspect of the meat. The plate also featured 2 whittled purple potatoes that were good. Under the lamb was a pile of almost raw, offensive chard. Not eaten.

we did enjoy the wine but the first glass was bright and full bodied while the second tadted as if it had warmed too much and was a bit sour.

desserts were not interesting and we basically just wasted to leave. My dinner partner paid the exorbitant bill $140) and then I realized that the waiter had not removed the so-called lobster ravioli ($28).

Sadly, I will not return to Boulevard.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Amazing meal! My dining companions had filet and scallops and both raved about them. Seeing nothing vegetarian on the menu, I asked the very nice waitress to have the chef do any vegetables he liked. I had a beautiful plate of perfectly cooked vegetables and potatoes (both fingerling and sweet). I was thrilled! We shared the flourless chocolate cake for dessert and it was fabulous. Will definitely be back next time I'm in San Francisco.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

There are just certain restaurants - whether right or wrong, expensive or not, thriving or out of business - that I associate with certain cities, and when I think of San Francisco, Boulevard comes to mind first. After a long hiatus when I could only assuage my Boulevard desires through their cookbook (with some near impossible ingredients to find, I might add), I returned to the city and am glad to see that everything is still running smoothly and just as I remember, even on a bustling Saturday night.

We sat in a deuce in the center of this Belle Epoque decorated restaurant and were able to take in the workings of the kitchen and the synchronous serving of the wait staff - like clockwork. We never wanted for the right utensils, water, wine, napkin... plates never sat at the table for too long a period, etc.

Recounting the fantastic dishes, I started with the Red Abalone while my wife had the Butternut Squash Soup (especially outstanding with its Island of Cave Aged 17 Month Old Gruyere Custard). For the mains, I had the Pan Roasted Local Petrale Sole while she followed with the Pork Prime Rib Chop - both were also excellent. I might point out that these are the Cliff's Notes versions of these dishes as a complete listing of their detailed ingredients (you can get an idea from their cookbook) would take some bit space. As an example, the pork is formally described as: Eden Valley Berkshire (Kurobota) Pork Prime Rib Chop, wood oven roasted with smoked pork belly and apple agrodolce, yukon gold potatoes with mustard and Douglas Fir (?), sautéed erbette chard, Tokyo turnips, walnuts, pickled mustard seeds and pork jus. Trust me, it works. We had a reasonably priced ($65.00) 2011 Emeritus (Hallberg Ranch) RRV Pinot Noir from an extensive wine list to accompany the meal. Afterwards, at our waiter's suggestion, we shared the Ice Box Cake (again, an edited description).

It's not inexpensive and an additional percentage is added to the final bill for SF Employer Mandates (something new that I encountered in several area restaurants). However: Sustainable foods, excellent California cuisine, great service... I can't recommend Boulevard enough and I can't go back enough times.